 Trains / 26430
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:25:57 GMT

   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I wouldn’t expect to get a brickbuilt nose to be honest. It would add a lot to the price and would detract from the look in the eyes of most kids. We live in a slick age and bricks just aren’t going to cut it, no matter how clever. My preference is for brick builds but I’m not ten years old.

I don’t buy this argument. The Super Chief proved that brick-built designs can be both aesthetically pleasing and popular.

I’ll take your “I don’t buy this argument” and raise it. We know that the Super Chief proved popular amongst AFOLs, but not neccesarily amonst the population at large.

   And how could a brick-built design be any more expensive than that Playmobil wanna-be? 20-30 small bricks made from existing molds would have to be cheaper than designing an entirely new mold for a piece that will only ever show up in one or two sets. How much use did TLC get out of this monstrosity?

Fortunately we don’t need to think about this one, the prices are there for us to see on Shop@Home. Taking the UK price, the Super Chief engine sold for £27 whilst the High-Speed Train engine sold for £20 making it 35% more expensive. I know that this difference isn’t just the nose but it’s quite a lot.

I prefer the Super Chief by a long run, both for its look and its piece use but I am not the target market. Nor are you or anyone who frequents this newsgroup.

Tim

Yeah, but the Super Chief had 3x more pieces than the 10157. Per piece, the Super Chief comes in at 9.17 cents per piece, while the High Speed Locomotive comes in at 17.73. Beyond the savings in not designing a new mold for every new engine, using normal bricks makes it much more likely that those pieces are already in production for use in other sets - just run off a few thousand more.

And according to TLC, the target market for the Super Chief is “10+”, while the 10157 is “7+”.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations