 Trains / 26406
26405  |  26407
Subject:
Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:04:38 GMT

Can “new trains” ever be a bad thing? Doubtful, but here are some observations based on the pic below that explore this question:

  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

  • Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don’t know what that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8 wide trains.

  • The passenger train appears to be legitimately lighted; the Croc’s lighting seems to be a croc, unless they have developed lights to fit in headlight bricks and jumper plates.

  • And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool, is a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers. It’s very existence mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true builder of LEGO trains. Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated the design team at TLG?

  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

  • All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line. I am reminded of an 18” Stonehenge...;-)
That’s it based on observation. RC has a lot of potential, but my fear is that it won’t nearly be powerful enough to exploit beyond stock LEGO sets, and certainly not to pull any 8 wide lash. I bet we get printed missives like we got with the 4.5 volt battery trains: “motor only designed to pull 3 cars” or something to that effect. Lashing motors together? Will this even be possible? Doubtful, thus condemning the trains to being short, toyish, and unimaginative. But that is all speculation at this point.

As I mentioned previously, I probably won’t run these trains, however tempting the prospect of RC control might be. The problem is that I don’t “play” with my trains; I turn them on and let them run, period. Nor have I any desire to do so. The whole concept is lost on me.

So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor. Actually, I don’t trust them in this regard and I will probably do what Ben will be doing and that is to stock up on about 50 motors in order to be ready when the death knell finally sounds. I will join the ranks of the sad clingers-on-to-the-past 12 volt fellers and become a dinosaur myself.

JOHN