 Trains / 26426
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:46:48 GMT

John wrote:
Can "new trains" ever be a {bad thing}?  Doubtful, but here are some
observations based on the pic below that explore this question:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lrlego/Schep/02-train_2006.jpg
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lrlego/Schep/thumb/02-train_2006.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

* It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor.
  Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Having metal wheels has its ups and downs. One down is that you won't be
able to run it on a 9v line independent of the 9v train. We probably
won't be able to run to IR controled trains independently of each other
(one remote will likely contol any IR train that the remote is pointed
at)  but it would be cool to control one train using a 9v regulator and
a second train using the IR remote. If the new system uses the old 9v
motors, then we (OK I) won't be able to do this.

[...]

* The passenger train appears to be [legitimately] lighted; the Croc's lighting
  seems to be a croc, unless they have developed lights to fit in headlight
  bricks and jumper plates.

This close up is a good view of the croc

It looks like the artist hasn't made an effort to light embelish the
trans-white 1x1 round plates on the 1x1 headlight bricks or the 1x2
tile-with-center-stud, but the artist has clearly embelished the two
lights on the 1x4 at the front-bottom of the hood. Lights in this
location are totally reasonable. That brick would just be a green
version of the black 1x4 headlight brick in
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4565 and the red 1x4 headlight brick in
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4563

* And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool, is
  a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers.  It's very existence
  mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true {builder} of LEGO
  trains.  Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated the design team at
  TLG?

* I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is
  like <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6005 this element> rather than
  <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32083 this element>.  That would be cool,
  especially WRT the smoke window section.  If not, I'll file it into the
  "missed opportunity" bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

I suspect that these will have to go into your missed opportunity bin.

* All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line.
  I am reminded of an 18" Stonehenge...;-)

That's it based on observation.  RC has a lot of potential, but my fear is that
it won't nearly be powerful enough to exploit beyond stock LEGO sets, and
certainly not to pull any 8 wide lash. [...] Lashing motors together?  Will this even be possible?

Maybe... unless the remotes are more sophisticated than a TV remote,
which for some reason I doubt. I think it is likely that one remote will
contol any number of LEGO trains. Kinda like on Hitachi remote will
control any Hitachi TV. So, if a few engines are lashed togther, one
remote should tell them all to go and all to stop.

[...]
As I mentioned previously, I probably won't run these trains, however tempting
the prospect of RC control might be.

I'd love to use IR control to run a trolley on the same line as my
trains, but I don't think this will be possible. No doubt, I'll buy at
least one for my son, so I'll get to try it out that way.

[...]

So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor.  [...]

Hmm... I wonder how the proposed LEGO Train Factory or the proposed LEGO
Train Bucket fits into the life or death of the traditional 9v line...

[JOHN]

Chris
--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/