 Trains / 26411
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:33:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --SOMEWHAY SNIPPED THROUGHOUT--

  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

I am hoping it will be a modified version of the 9v motor. If it is the same motor, then if it runs onto metal track, it’s battery will find itself powering the track out through the wheels instead of getting power in through them. (The modification would be to simply delete the wipers which connect to the power from the wheel flanges.)

I’m not really hoping, but it would be awesome if they modified the existing motor to allow it to be powered by either battery or off the rails.

The very best (IMO) would be like the trainmodders have done -- the power picked up from the rails is fed to an output on top of the motor unit, and the actual power to run the motor is fed in through an input on top of the unit.

   Of course, this would not be an issue on plastic track, but I believe I recall, at BrickFest 2005, Jake saying that the battery and earlier 9v systems would interoperate. So battery trains (which have the capability to be independently controlled on the same stretch of track) would short to each other on a metal clad track which would not be compatible.

As long as it’s compatible with NXT...

Steve