 Technic / 15614
Re: Power Functions Element Pics (inc Plugs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 22:19:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

OK, here's a few while you wait :-)

Thank you! I like the small(er) size of the motors; do the large motors also
have a  stud recesses down one side? It actually looks in both bases as if the
pin connections are fairly well placed. I'm not overjoyed with the "hard-wired"
nature of these either, but with those small thin cables it does allow you to
mount these motors into tighter spots without worrying as much about leaving the
connector plug avalible (or, for kids, loosing the wires). It also looks like
the outputs from the IR system are color-coded? And since you called them the
"large motor" and "medium motor", well... can I hope?

Out of curiosity, have you tried the "magic motor demo" with these yet? It
certainly looks like you could stack outputs, which could be interesting.

Heck, this stuff is small enough that now my large-scale NXT-guided robot could
arry a small-scale ROV for "tight space exploring". Line-of-sight IR back to the
NXT carrier, then BT control back to my handset, with the whole thing visible on
video with my minispycam attached to the main chassis or ROV. Ideas, ideas...

All the pics should be visible now, at

The large motors have 2 half-depth pin recesses on opposite sides.  They are
designed primarily for a Technic beam interface because of their high torque -
other models might fall apart!

I held them in my rover robot by as many holes as possible because of this, and
chose a beams-and-plates chassis for better rigidity, as I expected studless
construction to warp with the torque.

The IR handset and receiver have red and blue outputs - 2 outputs controlled for
each of 4 channels in turn.

You can hope, as I do, but even if I knew, I couldn't tell you! :-)

The magic motor test doesn't have the same coupling ability as 71427 gearmotors,
probably because the gearing is so much higher with the new motors.  The extra
power and torque at similar speed makes them a good substitute for 71427, 43362
or 47154 motors.

Outputs can be stacked, yes.  Not sure too many large motors on one output would
work too well, due to ultimate current output limits, but I've successfully used
multiple medium motors on each output, in cases where it makes more sense to use
2 medium motors without gearing than one large one geared up.  MOCs (to follow
soon) will illustrate this.

To interface the PF motors with the NXT, I guess the NXT 9V adapter cables are
the official way to go, since the PF system will have 9V compatibility.  I'm
sure it won't take long for AFOLs to cut the leads :-)

Mark