 Technic / 15580
Re: More Power Function MOC pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:35:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
Here's a "rover robot" built,apparently, out of the new IR Bulldozer. August is
much too far away. I like the look of those motors, not just for this but for
GBC modules and other "simple" automation, and (if the IR system is compatiable)
with the RCX and perhaps the NXT IR bridges. Take a look:

(no, not mine... I wish... Oh mister Be-llis...)

Well spotted Brian :-)

The electric elements are those that will feature in the new Bulldozer.  The
rest of the MOC is parts from my own collection, NOT the rest of the Bulldozer!
(that many beams with studs would be too much to hope for :-) )

Two large motors (with great torque!) do the tank drive on channel 1, with two
smaller motors doing the stilts at the back, to tip the robot up for picking up
objects) and the grab at the front on channel 2.  On a single handset you change
channel to select the different functions in pairs.

For automation, the centre of rotation of the handset levers is aligned with one
of the beam holes on the side, so you can have a motor controlled by one handset
move the levers on another handset.  This means you can have sequential
automation and all sorts of fun!  The system can branch too, by having more than
one receiver set to each channel number.  It could also do an "OR" function by
having two handsets transmit on the same channel (OK as long as the directions
don't conflict).

There is also my experiment in fitting the large motors to a walker chassis,
where the great torque comes into its own:

This robot has enough torque to buck if the legs are aligned rather than being
opposed, but it can make the 24-tooth cogs jump on the axles!  I think the large
motors are what many fans have wanted for years.  The jumping of 24-tooth cogs
was why I used 12 and 36-tooth cogs for the rover.

More MOC pictures built with the bulldozer electric elements (battery box,
handset, receiver, large and medium motors) will appear in my Power Functions
Brickshelf folder (when moderated) as I build them, so this is the space to
watch :-)  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=226241

I advise saving up for as many bulldozers as you can carry!  (BTW I don't have
the kit).

There are some differences between the RCX, IR Train and Power Function IR
systems.  I'm not an expert in that but Stefan Vorst has worked it out in more
detail.

There will be some compatibility of the Power Function system with the 9V
system, such that you will be able to drive a 9V motor or light from a Power
Function receiver or battery box if you use the right elements.  I'll say more
about that when I can.  This compatibility is something we AFOLs have pushed for
and shows the benefit of us being involved.

Mark