 Robotics / 24630
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:23:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane wrote:
That's a very interesting point "should Lego allow others to make Mindstorms
pieces". It would mean a big culture change. On the one hand they could lose
sales to an outside company, but on the other hand they could generate sales by
selling parts packs (beams & stuff) to support the 3rd party sensors.

It would be the first time Lego wasn't wholly responsible for the product, and
their high standards of quality could cause problems with third parties. But if
Lego provided the casing's it shouldn't be too hard.

They could have a "Lego approved" program for 3rd party parts.

I think the main benefit to Lego apart from selling more RIS kits is that it
would generate a lot of info of what people do and don't want. If a particular
sensor sold well Lego might consider buying up the 3rd party's patent, or coming
up with something similar. Although putting newly formed third parties out of
business wouldn't be popular.

And if everything was licensed, Lego would retain control, so that 3rd parties
couldn't bring out a replacement RCX for example without their permission.

Steve brings up some very interesting points here, some of which I am already
familiar with.

As far as TLG is concerned, I talked with folks like Brad and Jake some years
ago about the company's attitude toward my plans for making and selling
Mindstorms sensors. They basically explained the ground rules of how to work
within their system of trademarks and other legal issues.

There are no laws which cover consumer purchase of Lego bricks, subsequent
machining and re-use as sensor housings, and reselling. In fact, TLG continue to
have a quite positive attitude toward any supplier who offers to fill market
niches which they cannot fill.

As far as coming out with a directly competitive product, unless there are
patents in place, free competition is a legal right. However, if TLG decide a
device is worth making, its is likely to be because they perceive a large
potential market which means they can use some serious industrial muscle to
reduce manufacturing costs to well below what a light manufacturing company
could hope to compete with.

As to the question of whether the company would ever "endorse" a third party
device, I would think it unlikely for a low volume product. However, there are
quite a few examples of this happening already for medium volume products such
as watches. TLG do not make watches!

The only downside, in my opinion, of a lack of endorsement by TLG of Mindstorms
compatible sensors made by third party suppliers is that in structured activity
like FLL, the participants are denied use of these sensors because they aren't
"official" parts.

JB