 Robotics / 24592
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:19:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I noted this article on Slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/articles/05/11/28/0443232.shtml?tid=159&tid=1

Interesting item, but very few of the points that are trying to be made really
hold water.

The price comparision between the RCX and a cheap game just doesn't make sense.
You could make an even closer comparison between a TV remote and the RCX, it
even has IR communications! Well, one way at least.

The fact is that the modest volumes for the batches of RCXs that have been made
and the somewhat more sophisticated parts used within, like the motor drive
chips, definitely lifts the RCX head and shoulders above a TV remote in terms of
its basic manufacturing cost.

The Lego Mindstorms system is on par with other robotics building systems
commonly available. I think it is quite interesting that the release of the new
Radio Shack robotics set attracted an almost immediate comparison with
Mindstorms despite the fact that Mindstorms is at almost seven years old now!
That makes Mindstorms sound like a still relevant "standard" to me.

Although I hope that RIS 3.0 might be a twinkle in someone's eye somewhere in
Billund, I still haven't done everything you can do with the current product
yet! I am still coming up with new sensors to extend and enhance my and other's
enjoyment of building Lego robots.

JB