 Robotics / 24621
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:49:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have given some thought to what I would really
want out of Mindstorms part 3, or Lego Advance, as it
were.

[snip list of parts packs, including motors, wires,
chainlinks, worm gears, etc]

buying online from TLG in much the manner that you
would buy from bricklink etc. I don't even want fancy
boxes, just parts in plastic bags with the Lego seal
of approval.

   In a limited form this already exists - LEGO educational division indeed
sells just a motor, or a bulk pack of clutch gears, worm gears, 1x16 beams, etc.
They don't sell them on a part-by-part basis, but in small bulk packs.

Along the lines of ad-hoc sets, anything that FLL
wants as a kit could be offered quickly.

   Again, they sort of do this already - FLL teams can buy a kit that includes
everything needed for that years challenge plus the Team Challenge kit, or just
the parts and pad needed for the challenge itself. It would be nice if LEGO
could do this for everybody, but I suspect the margin would be too small - to
cater to all the possible options would mean far to much stock sitting around,
and far to many different products to inventory.

but would give them the ability to do this for *ANY*
special event/group/competition.

   In my hopes, I'd like to see LEGO Factory move in this direction, and it may.
Before LEGO Factory even opened, LEGO was talking about adding "train pallets"
for a smaller segment of the market. If they can work the bugs out of this new
distribution mechanism, it may end up being a significant shift in the
distribution chain.

There is *NO* place where you can go and get a
certified group of parts. Education people end up
doing this on their own, or buying multiple sets
and dividing it among their student teams... its
*MUCH* easier to get budget when you tell your
sponsors that you only need to purchase one kit
#xxxxx from TLG for each student, and it will satisfy
their experiments for the learning period.

   Again, check out LEGO Educational - this is actually how a lot of teachers
get supplies, either kits (Team Challenge sets, or the very nice small
mechanical kits on pulleys, levers, gears, etc... or even the DNA set, which I
actually quite like. I keep waiting for a magnet-based protein synthesis kit, as
it would be a wonderful (if expensive) way of teaching it "hands on").

--
Brian Davis