 Robotics / 24599
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:31:07 GMT

On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Mr S wrote:

Some suggestions (workable or not) would be:

1 - A tie-in with X-10 products for control of those
products
2 - Wireless communications with sensors (bluetooth?)

I thought about bluetooth, but I personally feel 802.11 would be
better. I bought a Roku Soundbridge new for around $125 and that
included a WiFi card.

3 - More advanced sensors (get out of the experimentor
stage)
4 - Ready made shells for home-brew parts/sensors
5 - Products that link systems together at home in
ways that are not available to home users in general.
For example, look at new home construction products
and how they function over networks.

Is there a composite wish list for a next-generation RCX-like
microcontroller anywhere? Might make some interesting reading.

Regardless, if Mindstorms was a runaway financial success for TLG,
the product line would not have stalled. Even if a company has the
ability to produce a product, does not mean it makes financial sense
for them to do so. Launching any new product (even if it is a
aggregate of existing R&D) is a commitment. A financial commitment.
And, it involves work. Sure, it could be a source of profit, but that
is not enough. The projected sales figures have to reach a certain
point for a product launch to be deemed worth doing. If catering to
AFOLs and robotics enthusiasts registered on TLG's financial radar,
I'm sure they'd do it in a heartbeat.

- matthew
http://www.stretta.com/~matthew