 Robotics / 24603
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:34:20 GMT

Matthew Davidson wrote:

On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Mr S wrote:

Some suggestions (workable or not) would be:

1 - A tie-in with X-10 products for control of those
products
2 - Wireless communications with sensors (bluetooth?)

I thought about bluetooth, but I personally feel 802.11 would be
better. I bought a Roku Soundbridge new for around $125 and that
included a WiFi card.

3 - More advanced sensors (get out of the experimentor
stage)
4 - Ready made shells for home-brew parts/sensors
5 - Products that link systems together at home in
ways that are not available to home users in general.
For example, look at new home construction products
and how they function over networks.

There have been dozens and dozens of discussions here about what
might or might not make a great RCX replacement - I don't think
there is much chance of it happening - so it's really a waste of
time to discuss it.

Regardless, if Mindstorms was a runaway financial success for TLG,  the
product line would not have stalled. Even if a company has the  ability
to produce a product, does not mean it makes financial sense  for them
to do so.

Right.

The trouble is, we AFOL's see something as absolutely mouth-wateringly
great - but the general public might not even understand it.

We are a *TINY* fraction of TLG's business.  I'd bet that even if
every one of us bought several 'new RCX' sets, Lego wouldn't come
even close to breaking even on the high R&D costs of such a part.

RCX is really the worst of both worlds - it's expensive to develop
(so high NRE) but has a small market niche (so cost-recovery is
difficult).

You can see why (if faced with a choice) they'd make a few standard
parts in new colours - *maybe* design a couple of new pieces - stick
a 'Harry Potter' label on it - and sell them in vast quantities.

That has a tiny NRE (mostly the licensing of the movie rights) - and
large quantity sales.   If a set fails for some reason, the NRE was low,
so the loss is small.   If you invest to make a new RCX and it fails,
you've just blown a couple of million dollars.

The only fix for that is to stick a big price tag on the set - but
that's just going to drive the market share down yet futher.

> Launching any new product (even if it is a  aggregate of
existing R&D) is a commitment. A financial commitment.  And, it involves
work. Sure, it could be a source of profit, but that  is not enough. The
projected sales figures have to reach a certain  point for a product
launch to be deemed worth doing. If catering to  AFOLs and robotics
enthusiasts registered on TLG's financial radar,  I'm sure they'd do it
in a heartbeat.

Yep - exactly.