 Robotics / 24601
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:28:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I noted this article on Slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/articles/05/11/28/0443232.shtml?tid=159&tid=1

-Orion

I have a hard time believing that the assertions about LEGO backing away from
mindstorms is true.  LEGO has done a great thing by creating "First LEGO
League".  It is successful internationally, and is based on competitions with
solutions built using LEGO mindstorms RIS.

LEGO originally started with a spectrum of Mindstorms products:
  Droid Developer Kit
  Dark Side Developer kit - Kjeld told me personally that this set didn't sell
well.
  RIS 1.0
  RIS expansion packs, Ultimate Builders Set for example
  RDS - Robot Developer Set (?) - this was a crippled RIS.

RIS was the big seller here.

Later we got:
  RIS 1.5 - Software improvement

  Spybotics - I don't think this sold very well...

  RIS 2.0 - hardware elimination of power port.  Firmware and front end
programming improvements.

Recently I found a software upgrade to RIS 2.5 on the LEGO mindstorms sight.

What has been constant through the lifetime of the Mindstorms product line is
RIS.

I think that LEGO has stuck with RIS because it is the best seller, and best
teaching product they have.  FLL will continue to motivate kids about robotics,
and LEGO.  It will continue to sell mindstorms product.

I too hope for RIS 3.0.  If it is produced:

  Will it be evolutionary or revolutionary?

There has been a lot of progress made in the area of computing and electronics
since the introduction of the RIS 1.0.

Kevin