 Robotics / 24615
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 04:26:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I recognize the author's logic trail from the cartoon network.  IE: "That guy
smokes, and those people were killed in a fire, so that guy killed those
people..."
The analysis was thin and poorly written, I agree.

I wish people like the guy who wrote the article would actually do some research
on the topic before publishing something like this, especially now that /. has
picked it up. Now, of course, it is as good as gospel truth to millions of
people. If he had just looked around LUGNET once or twice, he'd have found many
posts about the various parts of MINDSTORMS, what their capabilities actually
are, and the true quality of them. The motors, for instance, are not the 10cent
(US, whatever, it is still cheap) hobby motors that you find everywhere. These
are high-efficiency, high-quality, high-performance, high-endurance motors. But,
what can one say, after the fact?

As a sidebar to this, whatever happened to the Cybermaster? Was it too expensive
a "toy", and TLG took it off the market cuz people weren't buying? Or did it not
live up to what it could have been? From what I have pieced together, the brick
was astounding: RF comm, three sensor ports, three motor ports, two onboard
motors with opto-encoders for positioning/speed control, and more memory/faster
processor than the RCX. Please tell me if these stats are correct; I'd hate to
mislead someone, esp. after my little rant above :-)
From these stats, I would be willing to pay US$200-250 just for the brick, based
on the average RCX selling for around US$100 or so where I've seen it (eBay,
Bricklink, etc.,)

Also, just a minor (no pun) thing: not all people who use MINDSTORMS as the
LUGNET.robotics people do are ADULT friends of Lego (AFOL's). Myself, included.
Though I do agree that Lego should target older people, 20-40 is older than I. I
would still buy stuff from that category, of course. Steve Hassenplug's ideas
for a Lego Advance sound dead-on to me.

My two cents,

Andrew Meyer