 Robotics / 24584
Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:57:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I noted this article on Slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/articles/05/11/28/0443232.shtml?tid=159&tid=1

The usual slashdot blend of insightful and not quite as insightful. The
recurring theme that "once you have sold a user a certain amount, they never
need more product, so that's why LEGO went with licenses" is not one that I
agree with, and I suspect I am not alone, many of us like to build big things.
But we're a niche.

This link makes for interesting reading. http://www.techuser.net/lego.html
Something doesn't gibe but I can't say quite what.

It's a very funny story.  I really tried to read the whole thing, but I can't.
I've spent too much time laughing.

I recognize the author's logic trail from the cartoon network.  IE: "That guy
smokes, and those people were killed in a fire, so that guy killed those
people..."

Clearly, these two statements are indisputable:

"Media stories about Lego tend to create the impression that most Lego customers
are Lego literate and are building sophisticated models, but there is no
evidence that such is the case."

"Most people including long time Lego customers are totally unaware of the
considerable play potential of Lego bricks and believe Lego play to be all about
putting pieces together as depicted, and this perception of Lego play is turning
away older age groups."

Steve