 Robotics / 24631
Re: Custom Sensor poll (Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:53:57 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

> Would such parts be "legal" in "Mindstorms Only" contests?
>
> If not, what's required to make them legal?
>
> Steve

This is a very difficult question to answer.  The current base rule set
for the rtlToronto robot games  started of with the idea that robots
must be built from the stock RIS set.  That was 9 (?) years ago.  We
have since evolved to allow any number of parts, as long as they are "LEGO."

We have allowed robots to show up with some of Johns custom sensors, but
it was unofficial, and did leave some members with an unspoken  bad feeling.

I think the basic idea behind non-lego parts used in a RCX robot game,
is that, at what point do you disallow a 100% custom built non lego
robot?  Who would say that a custom "platform," or a more powerful CPU,
or whatever is disallowed because it offered an advantage over "stock"
LEGO.  I think the level play field offered by "only lego" parts, while
seemingly biased, does offer just that, a level play field for all.

The counter argument to all that, is those rare lego parts, or country
specific ones that are not easily obtained. Hypothetically, what is the
difference between me (being in Canada) getting cybermaster touch
sensors from Bricklink.com, and someone else getting a custom sensor
from John? Both are obtainable via the web. Why is one more "legal" than
the other?

Now, with that being said, your "what if" idea of an "authorized" lego
part not manufactured by lego, puts a whole new twist to the above
arguments.   Essentially your "what if" IMHO would by definition extend
the  lego product line.

In the end, I would have to put it to our members to decide if we would
then allow those specific parts.

Chris