 People / 927
Re: I'm lucky to be alive - now in Technicolor!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:41:48 GMT

John Morgan wrote in message ...
He probably dropped his cell phone and accidently stepped on the throttle while
looking under the seat for the phone <G> or the firestone Atx blew out under the
heat of stop and go traffic and he lost control.HaHa

He didn't have any blown tires, so that isn't a possibility. Cell phone might have been a possibility, but I'm putting more bets on
exhaustion due to an all night shift at the hospital.

Sheesh! Frank, I am really glad you got out of that basically unhurt. One
aspect of internet communication that I have always found difficult is the
possibility of this happening to someone and as far as we know all they did was
stop posting.
Unless there is a friend or someone else in thier town that can notify us of
the incident then its like they just disappear. I am really glad this wasnt't
the case this time.
Hope your new car has a higher bumper !

One thing I realized about this accident is that it probably was a good thing my bumper was lower. By climbing over me, he was able
to crumple far more of the rear of the vehicle, thus absorbing more engergy, and spreading out the impact force over a larger
distance. Also, had he hit my bumper squarely, it would have been more likely that he would have crushed my car against the
guardrail (though of course that would have engaged more of the front of the vehicle in energy dissipating crumpling, but I could
also have had the steering wheel jammed into me, or the engine in my lap. It would also have seriously increased the risk of fire,
and might well have made it much more difficult for me to get out of the vehicle. Also, by climbing over my vehicle, my trunk space
was between the gas tank and his engine, which may have helped keep a fire from starting (after extracting stuff from the car, and
seeing the burst fire extingisher I keep in the trunk, I wonder if it at all contributed to keeping a fire from happening - it was
basically stored right over the gas tank - on that note, does anyone have feelings on the best place to keep your fire extinguisher?
I suppose it's probably best kept next to the driver's seat as the most likely way you'll be able to use it is on someone elses car,
and if your car is on fire, you _might_ be able to grab it on your way out, being in the trunk probably renders it useless due to
how long it would take to get to it - of course the best place might be on a clip on the roof, where it can easily be reached
without opening or reaching into the vehicle).

In lugnet.people, Tom Stangl writes:
KeeRIST!  How fast did he accel in stopped traffic to do that?!?  I'm surprised he didn't leave burnout marks from his start to
pound your car that bad.

There was a large space behind me, I think his inattention caused him to not notice that traffic was moving, thus leaving a huge gap
for him to close. I assume he failed to notice that traffic had already come to a stop again.

Frank