 People / 918
Re: I'm lucky to be alive - now in Technicolor!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 05:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.people, Frank Filz writes:
Well, not quite, but I went to the salvage yard this afternoon to retrieve what I could from the car (I actually got most of the
salvageable stuff right after the accident as it turns out). While there I took some pictures and have put together a small web
page:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/wreck2000/wreck.html

Frank

Well, I will be the next to say "glad you are ok!"
I am surprised you "fared so well".  I think these pictures are a great
reminder for people to "pay attention", "be patient" , and "get off the
freaking phone" when they are driving.  I am glad to read the dr. who hit
you was chastized by the cop.  Was he issued multiple tickets?

Those pictures are quite dramatic and reminiscient of accidents I used to
see in college coming back from a local ski resort...those accidents often
involved SUV drivers who had a few cocktails before leaving the slopes.
Frequently these drivers would tailgate smaller/lghter vehicles who had less
traction in the snow...circumstances were different, but the results were
remarkably similar.

I generally abhor SUVs in the areas I drive due to the habits of many of the
drivers.  Locally, these drivers are not cogniscent of the incredible
breaking distances these vehicles require and they quite often drive them
the way I have driven Audis and BMWs on abandoned backroads.  I believe they
serve a purpose, but I think people who own them should have special licenses.

I have driven most SUVs before (except a hummer and an exc