 People / 896
Subject:
I'm lucky to be alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:32:02 GMT

Well, I'm feeling extremely fortunate to still be alive today. This morning on the way into work I got rear-ended by an SUV. The
rear of my car is compacted to almost nothing. I'm basically uninjured. A couple people came up to me after the accident and
mentioned that they were a little apprehensive about approaching for fear of what they would see in the car. Had anyone been in the
rear seats, they would have been being scraped up with a spatula. Fortunately there was no LEGO in the car, and I was in need of a
new car anywise. What's unfortunate is that no one at the scene had a camera. I'm going to go over to the junk yard tomorrow to
scavenge more stuff from the car, and I'll bring my camera and post some pictures. I may need to bring along a crowbar to get at
some of the stuff. The only thing I don't understand is how the SUV got enough speed in stop and go traffic to cause the damage that
was caused. My car and his truck were spun around and I came to rest against the guardrail looking back the way I had come. What's
kind of extra fortunate is that a cop was right there. A friend also happened to be there (though he didn't know that it was me
until he walked up to the car). He saw the cloud of debris go flying and saw the cop put on his lights almost before everything came
to rest.

Frank

Re: I'm lucky to be alive
Well, I'm feeling extremely fortunate to still be alive today. This morning on • the way into work I got rear-ended by an SUV. The
rear of my car is compacted to almost nothing. I'm basically uninjured.

Ouch! I'm glad to hear that your alright. Don't you just love that adreniline
high? Have you come down yet? ( I don't mean to make jokes of this, trust me
getting hit really sucks. I've been there.)

A couple people came up to me after the accident and
mentioned that they were a little apprehensive about approaching for fear of • what they would see in the car. Had anyone been in the
rear seats, they would have been being scraped up with a spatula. Fortunately
there was no LEGO in the car,

Oh wow! That could have been a real tragedy! You wald away, but minifigs are
horrible decapitated... I would have been apprehensive with a scene like that.
and I was in need of a
new car anywise. What's unfortunate is that no one at the scene had a camera.
I'm going to go over to the junk yard tomorrow to
scavenge more stuff from the car, and I'll bring my camera and post some
pictures. I may need to bring along a crowbar to get at
some of the stuff. The only thing I don't understand is how the SUV got enough
speed in stop and go traffic to cause the damage that
was caused.

Actually, you'd be suprised by how little energy is needed to utterly destroy a
car. However, SUV's are loaded with unnessesary power (for road use) and they
tend to have horrible brakes. I fear and loathe them. SUV's are the scourge of
modern roadways.
My car and his truck were spun around and I came to rest against • the guardrail looking back the way I had come. What's
kind of extra fortunate is that a cop was right there. A friend also happened • to be there (though he didn't know that it was me
until he walked up to the car). He saw the cloud of debris go flying and saw • the cop put on his lights almost before everything came
to rest.

I think that's the MOST shocking part of this. In Chicago, there is NEVER a cop
around when you need one!
Frank

Frank, I think I can speak for the LUGNET community that losing you, or any of
our members would be unacceptable. We are close, maybe not in terms of true
friendship, but we all share a common intrest, losing someone in a tight
community such as our would be a heavy hit.
I thank what ever higher power that you believe in that you walked away from
this.
For a new car, think Ford Excursion. It's big, classified as a dump truck, and
you won't worry about crumple zones!
By the way, How did the SUV fare?

Glad your still here,

Greg Howell

Re: I'm lucky to be alive
[...]

Thank God you are all right! I have been in a few too, but no cars (deer,
tree, ditch). Good luck on all the things you have to do now.

Scott S.
--
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Want LEGO Parts at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn Systems Company!

Re: I'm lucky to be alive