 People / 899
Re: I'm lucky to be alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:51:02 GMT

In lugnet.people, Greg Howell writes:
In lugnet.people, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I'm feeling extremely fortunate to still be alive today. This morning • on
the way into work I got rear-ended by an SUV. The
rear of my car is compacted to almost nothing. I'm basically uninjured.

Ouch! I'm glad to hear that your alright. Don't you just love that adreniline
high? Have you come down yet? ( I don't mean to make jokes of this, trust me
getting hit really sucks. I've been there.)

Yea, this is the third accident in 4 years. I've really got to get out of the
habit of smashing my cars when I'm tired of them (1st was a van which was
starting to fall apart, it wasn't totaled, but it came close - that time I was
rear ended by an 18 wheeler!, the 2nd time, someone ran a red light and hit
just behind the drivers side door, that car was one I  had bought in too much
haste and didn't look at closely enough, it also lasted all of 6 weeks and 6
days in my possesion, the good thing on that one was that the insurance
company basically paid me what I paid for it, so I got out of a lemon for the
cost of a few minor repairs and a few bruises)! Now that I'm down off the
rush, I'm hurting a bit more. I'm going in to the clinic tonight to get
checked out.

and I was in need of a
new car anywise. What's unfortunate is that no one at the scene had a camera.
I'm going to go over to the junk yard tomorrow to
scavenge more stuff from the car, and I'll bring my camera and post some
pictures. I may need to bring along a crowbar to get at
some of the stuff. The only thing I don't understand is how the SUV got • enough
speed in stop and go traffic to cause the damage that
was caused.

Actually, you'd be suprised by how little energy is needed to utterly destroy • a
car. However, SUV's are loaded with unnessesary power (for road use) and they
tend to have horrible brakes. I fear and loathe them. SUV's are the scourge of
modern roadways.

Having been in a few wrecks, this was definitely disproporionate damage for
the maximum speed the SUV should have been going. The 18 wheeler just banged
up the rear of the van a bit, the other car which got hit in the side just got
it's interior volume reduced by a cubic yard or two, the dent was only a foot
or so deep (of course the other car also continued on down the road about 100-
200 feet so my car didn't absorb much of his energy at all). Back when I was a
kid we also hit a car which had run a red light in front of us. While it was
true that his car was an American sedan instead of a sub-compact, we were also
a full sized Ford van, and had been going at least 45 mph.

My guess is that the SUV driver suddenly noticed that traffic was moving again
(or at least had got a couple hundred feet from him), and he punched the gas
(not noticing that in fact by that time traffic had in fact stopped again
already). I didn't look to see if there were any skid marks before the
apparent impact point (I'm sure I left some rubber on the road).

Given that the other driver was a doctor in hospital garb, I'd love to know if
he was just coming off shift. If so, it would be another one to chalk up
against the ridiculous shifts doctors are required to take. I suspect his
being a doctor was part of the vehmence behind the cop's comment to him about
him having no buisiness driving like that.

I think that's the MOST shocking part of this. In Chicago, there is NEVER a • cop
around when you need one!

Our highways are pretty well patrolled. In the 10 mile stretch that I drive to
work, there are probably 5-6 troopers.

For a new car, think Ford Excursion. It's big, classified as a dump truck, and
you won't worry about crumple zones!
By the way, How did the SUV fare?

Well, I am thinking of a larger car. I am not willing to join the SUV crowd
(though I'd certainly be comfortable driving one, I grew up on full size Ford
and Chevy vans).

Frank