 Off-Topic / Debate / 5718
Re: This is incredible!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 19:03:18 GMT

Whatever the law says on this thing - TLC/G were wrong not to credit Todd…
just imagine if it was the Coca Cola Logo!

Agreed!  I was wondering, though; does the Mania magazine have anything like
a general Trademark disclaimer?  I've read other magazines that say something
like "individual trademarks are held by their respective owners, and their
mention here should not be construed as a challenge to their status."
My question is more for my own curiosity than for the situation at hand--I
agree absolutely that appropriate credit should have been given.

    Dave!

I haven't seen one, but I don't think anyone would have recognized as needing
a trademark or I don't think it would have appeared at all.  I'm pretty sure
most people at Lego didn't make the connection at all or even know our
existence.

I think it was probably an "easter egg" put in by an artist who is probably
lurking here and his higher ups never even thought that it was a logo for
anything.  Your probably thinking, "Why wouldn't this person have told us?"
I can tell you why...everyone would always be bugging them about "the inside
scoop."  We're a pretty hardcore group here and I think that the person would
always be under pressure to cough up some more info for us.  I'm actually
thankful about how it appeared as all of a sudden a bunch of our bandwidth
hasn't been sucked dry by a bunch of kids looking around.  Besides anyone
smart could find Lugnet by using a search engine to find us anyway.

Also, if your thinking TLC is going to "officially acknowledge" this site,
your out of your mind.  I would bet that is why there was talk of anonamously
donating to us.  TLC doesn't own this site and can't control the content,
that's Todd's call.  I do contracts for a living and I can tell you that you
can bet that both TLC and Lucas have huge contracts to limit their liability
in the case that one of the "partners" heads in a bad direction.  I mean there
is nothing that keeps Todd from running a LUGNET ad in a magazine and changing
the whole site to a gigantic toy store that handles competitors blocks too the
next day.

That being said, my opinion remains that it was an unauthorized usage by a fan
of this site who was trying to put something in just for us.  You can bet that
if TLC hand known anything about it, it would have been Lego's logo.

Matt