 LEGO Company / 600
599  |  601
Subject:
Squeaky Wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 06:52:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
As a number of people have rightly pointed out, people listen more to
reasonable, calm feedback on why this change is an issue. Let me assure you
that people are listening. But it doesn’t help the cause when colleagues read
profanity filled posts.

Thanks for listening to us. Now back to listening to you.

I'm not a frequent poster to Lugnet, but I read it almost every day.

From my perspective, Lego has been doing better stuff than ever, especially in
2003:
1. *Creator, Designer and Inventor sets
2. *Fascinating tubs at great prices
3. *Return of some harcore technic
4. *Legends - especially the Metroliner and club car
5. *More trains in general
6. The under-appreciated Adventurers Oriental stuff
7. The Discovery Space sets
8. The later Harry Potter Sets
9. Star Wars, especially the Minis, Star Destroyer, and AT-AT
10. (as a father not AFOL) a beautifully rejuvenated "Duplo" line
11. Bionicle sets that are actually quite good (boo hiss!!!)
12. *Bulk bricks
13. *Bulk bricks with discounts
14. Pick a brick
15. *Extension of online store to more countries with lower postage points
16. Sculptures of famous planes
17. return of "Town" sets in Harry Potter and World City
18. Even this year's Advent calendar is dramatically better!

Plus a couple of "positioning" things they have done, such as very firmly
placing Juniorisation in its place, and not allowing it to spread into other
lines.

(an aside - however my favourite theme is SW. If 2005 is the year SW is
Juniorised, like maybe Pirates is this year and Town was for the last few years,
I will be pretty irate! But hey if its the younger kids who want pirates and
fire engines, and the older kids who want R2D2 and AT-TEs who am I to argue with
your market research?)

The split between "tubs/creator/designer/inventor" and "story" based sets allows
us to understand what Lego is trying to get at. Surely the 2003
Creator/Designer/Inventor sets represent a fantastic return to what AFOLs see as
the core Lego value of open-ended creative building. But with cooler colour
schemes and ideas books included in every carton.

Now, assuming the colour change is "2004", can anyone point to a better year
than 2003?

OK. Now to my main point. People on Lugnet are still whining. The colour change
has been a particular example. It makes me cringe to see grown men and women
whine like this! I won't pick anyone out as an example, but really, its
embarrassing. Sure there is some intelligent discussion as well, but the overall
tone has been somewhat immature.

HOWEVER

Many of the things that TLG has done (as above, marked with asterisks) were the
subject of exactly the same kinds of childish whinges and whines in the past (as
well as intelligent discussion). And from many of the same people.

So, to the posters who have cringed and pointed out how dumb some of these
complaints are, maybe you should think again. Maybe its the whiners and
complainers who really influence TLG to do the amazing stuff they have been
doing lately.

I have quietly wished for some of the things Lego has been doing recently, but I
have only ever voted with my wallet, not by asking for things in posts to
Lugnet.

I'd like to hear other's opinions on this, including representatives of TLG.
Does whining work? And if so, what kind of whining is best? Brad, name names!
Give some examples of AFOLs who have influenced you and what kind of input you
can really use.