 LEGO Company / 555
Re: Update on color issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:04:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
Have you ever had one of those Mondays where you wake up thinking it would be
a slow week only to find out you were waaaaaaaay off? Last Monday was just
such a day for me! I spent most of my week tracking down info, passing on
your thoughts to colleagues and responding to numerous emails, IMs, and phone
calls regarding the color change. You have to bear with me, as I’m not able
to give immediate responses, and often try to take some time off during the
weekends.

The recent color change discovery and announcement has caused a great deal of
discussion here, and on other sites. At the same time, much discussion was
had over the apparent rumor of the demise of castle. (Will post separately
about the castle issues)

Before I go any further, let me make sure that everyone here is completely
clear: I understand fully the concerns you have about the color changes. I
understand the concern over how to continue to grow your collections of these
colors, collections you have spend much time and money to acquire.

When this broke, it did in fact catch us in Community Development a bit off
guard. Some of the 2004 products with the new colors appeared on shelf
earlier than they should have (they were shipped to retailers for an early
December appearance), so the usual product communication that happens with
launches had not yet been received (this is why Consumer Affairs didn't have
complete info either). So please cut us (and especially me) some slack -
we're trying to get the full story here, but this initiative is being managed
out of Denmark so we can't just walk down the hall and chat.And I'm trying to
keep up with the literally hundreds of comments people have posted regarding
this issue. It may take a few days, but we'll get and share further details.

As a number of people have rightly pointed out, people listen more to
reasonable, calm feedback on why this change is an issue. Let me assure you
that people are listening. But it doesn’t help the cause when colleagues read
profanity filled posts.

Thanks for listening to us. Now back to listening to you.

Jake¬
---¬
Jake McKee¬
Community Liaison¬
LEGO Community Development

Jake,

Thanks for the update!  As one of the more vocal color change critics, I
certainly appreciate your efforts to get more information out to the LUGNET
community.  I also am glad to hear that you are bringing our concerns back to
TLC, and look forward to receiving more information from you.

I hope that we have not made your job more difficult by voicing our concerns
about this issue.  I know that there have been more than a few emotional posts,
and at least one containing inappropriate language.  I hope that you and your
colleagues are able to read past the the misdirected anger and even the
profanity in order to understand the passion for this hobby that has motivated
it.  Clearly, many of us are upset by this change and unfortunately a few have
chosen to express it in less than appropriate ways.

I trust that you are aware of the issues that we have raised, so I won't waste
your time repeating them here.  (Did I just hear ALL of LUGNET let out a
collective sigh of relief?)  I know that you are as much a fan of LEGO as any of
us, and we couldn't ask for a better person to represent our concerns to your
employer.

Thanks for listening!

- Chris.