 LEGO Company / 592
Re: Update on color issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:46:37 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Chris Phillips wrote:

If the color of the bricks means so little to him, is Little Timmy or his mother
any more likely to buy LEGO because one grey is lighter than the other?

Yes yes yes... we know, we know.  Colors won't entice kids where color
doesn't matter into buying more LEGO than they already do, so this
change seems aimless.

But I have a suspicion that's not the point of this whole mess.

Having thought about this for a while now, I suspect that the intention
is to try to bring in *NEW* people.  Although I believe, and I'm sure
many others here feel the same way, that LEGO is of good enough quality
to stand on its own merits and doesn't need more "friendly" colors to
entice people into buying once they've seen one set, but it's evident
that LEGO doesn't feel the same way, hence the color change towards what
their research teams have determined to be a more "kid-friendly" color.

Their claimed reason for doing this is to improve sales, so let's take
that reason at face value, okay?  Believe it or not, there _ARE_ people
who seem to think that "that other brick" *DOES* have a prettier color
selection than LEGO, and I'd bet anything that this color selection has
been done to try to lure such people into buying LEGO.  The number of
people who feel strongly enough about the color change to not buy any
more LEGO after this are not as high as what they estimate they will be
able to bring in as new fans.  LEGO purists may gasp at the thought of
mixing non LEGO with LEGO, but I don't think LEGO minds very much as
long as the newer purchases are from LEGO.

Thank you for providing an answer to this question!  Believe it or not, I am not
going to debate you on this point.

I know this discussion became tiresome for all of us a long time ago.  The main
reason it keeps going in circles is that a lot of people seem perfectly willing
to make statements in this thread that they have no interest in backing up.  Yet
those same unsupported statements keep coming back.

I've read that the color change won't *hurt* sales with kids at least a dozen
times, but I am yet (until now) to see anyone take a crack at answering my very
obvious follow-up question.

Again, thank you for actually engaging in this discussion!

- Chris.