 LEGO Company / 566
Re: Update on color issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:55:00 GMT

Dear Jake, dear Kate (if you are still among us),

Jake McKee wrote:
When this broke, it did in fact catch us in Community Development a
bit off guard. Some of the 2004 products with the new colors appeared
on shelf earlier than they should have (they were shipped to
retailers for an early December appearance), so the usual product
communication that happens with launches had not yet been received
(this is why Consumer Affairs didn't have complete info either). So
please cut us (and especially me) some slack - we're trying to get
the full story here, but this initiative is being managed out of
Denmark so we can't just walk down the hall and chat.And I'm trying
to keep up with the literally hundreds of comments people have posted
regarding this issue. It may take a few days, but we'll get and share
further details.
Thank you for your efforts to help us.

Time and again it seems that the internal communication within TLC seems
to be the problem. How about using the force of this consumer reaction
storm to improve your stand in the more or less broken chain of
communication in the company? I have seen you and Kate more often than
not being caught off-guard on important issues. Not that I blame you -
You cannot know what you have not not been told. But it is quite
frustrating to see that those who should inform the public about
important issues from within the company are informed *by* the public
and than have to go for a lengthy hunt for the details. As long as the
flow of information stays this problematic, rumours will continue to
rule the seas, making your job even more problematic.

Nonetheless, I resent the very idea of LEGO changing basic colors. I am
in the middle of building a largeish MOC, that already consumed about
10000 gray bricks and will consume the same amount again (most of which
I still have to purchase).

Has any consideration been given to the point that actions like that may
cause problems with resellers, too? I just told one of my local area
Toy/LEGO resellers of TLCs plans and he was immediately aware that such
a change may lead to (unnecessary?) product complaints and returns
because "the gray bricks are of a wrong colour", thereby drastically
endangering profits and sales.

And, finally, even though I don not appreciate the use of
censorship-prone communication regarding this and other issues, have you
ever thought of seeing these extreme emotional reactions as a sign how
extremely, even fanatically devoted the fans are to the product? Very
few companies can treat their customers like TLC did and does and still
have fans.

Yours, Christian Treczoks

PS: Is Kate still with consumer affairs? I haven't heard of her lately.