 General / 25016
  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I think what James is saying here is that if you copy his design outright and sell it. THIS breaks copyright laws, and is comperable to selling bootlegged CDs. (...) You would be fine, again, using this for your own enjoyment, but not to sell. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Only if you include your modification about selling it. BTW, where does the law stand if I buy a legitimate set of plans for a set. I then put together 10 copies of the set out of loose bricks I own and sell them. I'm I in the wrong? Is this (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) If that were what he was saying, I wouldn't care- in fact, I would agree with him. But it's not, and his response to me bears that out. (...) That's great for them. I really don't have a problem with these guys selling the sets, especially (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Umm.. no. James' position is more like the whole Napster/Music thing. Should I be able to play an artist's music whenever I want without paying them for it? Can I burn my own CD's of their music for my own personal use? Can I sing their songs (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) The same as doing it with software. You own the rights (in my case) to make unlimited copies for personal use. You can sell the instructions (with or without the bricks) but if you do so, you must destroy all copies in your possession or (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) As long as you are not looking at a photo of my (for sale) work when you sit down to build it, I don't care. Go ahead and copy the ideas from my skyscraper, or my (very old) sketches of the RPO (you'd have to _dig_ to find a copy, but it is (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) This last one seems to me to be the most relevant in this case. If I sit down with my guitar and pluck out the beginning of "Enter Sandman", it would be completely ludicrous for Metallica to sue me for it - and if the law believes it is (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Baby, it always was... A lot of bad law is coming down in terms of intellectual property primarily because the main participants can afford to assert their views. And as far as the computer industry is concerned -- the whole thing is built on (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) As I said before, good luck with that. I don't think you really can "copyright" an arrangement of someone else's patented materials. Let's keep that in mind here, folks: we are *not* talking about music. Music is a naturally occuring thing. (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) (URL) an official GoB statement, just my opinion. I can dig up where I said the same thing some time ago if you think it's helpful... For those that want to give a go to copying my work for their own enjoyment, there's lots of info at the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Are you saying you would not post the pictures as you want to keep your copying antics secret, or because we’d not be interested? (...) The only problem I have with people copyrighting their own designs is that we have all most all benefited (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Eh? Copyright does equal patent; they're two separate animals. Go take a picture with a camera. Is that photo Kodak's (or Fuji's in my case) now? Or Nikon's? Both the camera and the film are patented... Same with painting a picture. Betcha the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) A HUGE point. It kind of reminds me of Duchamp's "ready-mades", or whatever -- the placement of a urinal in a museum as if he had sculpted it himself. Legos can be seen as a kind of medium, but it's a very dictatorial one at that... In my own (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I think it would be kept secret because it would bring out a lot of bad blood. I mean, come on...if you want one of my sets, buy it. It's not like I am selling them for a excessive amount, when you start looking at the parts prices I have paid (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) OK, so _everything_ has no copywrite? Is this what you are trying to tell me? That, because I only took something physical, and put it into a new arrangement, like these Electrons in the computer, that I don't hold any rights to exploit my (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Hah! Man, I am so glad you said this instead of me. I have been laughing out loud for months over this... =) Anyway, maybe it's ironically fitting -- it kinda says it all. I dunno. People here get SO serious about stuff. I agree that giving (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Because you most likely wouldn't be interested. If someone else creates something, and posts it to Lugnet/Brickshelf/the internet in general, I wouldn't see the reason to post pictures of my copy of it. What's the point? If I think it's (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) No, as I said before, out of simple disinterest. If I build a copy of something someone else built, what is the point of discussing it? What purpose could discussing it possibly serve? What would I gain as the poster, and what would people (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) No. I would be upset if you went and copied the entire set from the images provided to help sell the set on my web page. (see below) (...) Guild (...) Yes, I do understand that other members do not feel exactly the same. I would be quite (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) So, in other words, "yes". 1) Fred decides Fred likes your design, and would like to have it in his train layout, in his basement. Fred has an extensive LEGO collection already, though, and has all the parts he needs. 2) Fred sits down with a (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Um, I'm not sure I disagree with James about anything. I'm mildly upset and disappointed when someone chooses to copy my work, but I'm also kind of flattered. Neither of those emotions translate into my actually *doing* anything about it, as (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) This is where you're making your mistake: We aren't talking about someone selling sets that resemble GoB sets. We *are* talking about someone building the set FOR THEIR OWN USE without buying it. I agree completely that if someone copied one (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That's not how I read (URL) James' later posts. I think James is saying he will take you to court if you look at a picture of his creation and try to build it out of your own bricks, even if you don't then sell it. Later he backpedals slightly (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I can get upset if I want. I can be flattered if I want. I can be both at the same time if I want. I can do so for any reason or no reason at all if I want. What I won't do (and what James won't do) is *do* anything about it, other than (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) certain designs re: construction block toys are open season as far as duplication or near duplication. MegaBloks and Block-Men are the current offenders, of course, and their use of the 2x4 brick, nearly identical to Lego's design, has been (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That is what I thought you meant. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Yes. This is what I was thinking - I jsut did not type it. (...) By copied, I assume you mean re-drafted - otherwise it happens all the time. (...) But could Lego not argue that you are using/adapting thier ideas to build your sets - eg click (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Why does it disappoint you? I've spent all my working life trying to get others to copy me. (...) I doubt LEGO will put GoBed sets in the shops. Or if they did, they'd dumb them down a little - would have accept that at even 0.006 / brick? (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(cross-posting to o-t.debate, this falls in between the cracks, I think. If it moves more Lego-wards, please drop .debate, vice versa if it moves more off-topic. Thanks) (...) OBDisclaimer: IMHO! I don't know James' mind(1), or yours, but FWIW, I (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I think I understand what the point is but, we are usually working from a picture or the actual building/engine and I don't see credits that the model is representive of a pix in Model Railroading or the the XYZ building in town A. When is a (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes: <SNIP> (...) <SNIP> Actually, you might have copyRIGHT, but I'm not an IP lawyer, so I can't say for sure. Paul Sinasohn Writer and Instructional Designer - Editor when required LUGNET #115 (23 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) James, This is the most absurd position I have ever heard. You would get upset with me if I saw one of your models on the Internet and tried to build it myself with my own lego bricks, in my own room? I don't think Lego would particularly care (...) (23 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I can make a copy of your work, looking at your photo or not, but that's about as far as it goes. I cannot sell a copy of your work. I cannot obtain an illegally duplicated copy of your instructions on how to build your work. I cannot publish (...) (23 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

If somebody can sell an exact copy of a official lego sets, using the bricks from other sets, as "without box and instructions", I think anybody also can reproduce and sell all of the models around the net, including GOB sets as "without (...) (23 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.general)