 Castle / 4043
Re: Thank you for translation! (Re: New pictures of my Black Falcons)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:01:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle, René Hoffmeister writes:
<snip>
"Yeoman Archer" - If "yeoman" means to be not dependent on strict rules.

Well, that's not what my dictionary says... Yeoman:
"An attendant, a servant, or a lesser official in a royal or noble household.
A yeoman of the guard. (1)
A petty officer performing chiefly clerical duties in the U.S. Navy.
An assistant or other subordinate, as of a sheriff.
A diligent, dependable worker.
A farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of
small freeholding farmers in England."

"Battlerider / Battle Horseman" - He's not only a knight. He belongs to a
company of Heavy Cavallary. But maybe you called them "Cavaliers"

Cavaliers would be a good description, yes. I don't think there's a phrase in
English like "horseman"... but that's the problem with translations. Ugh!

"Guards Horsewoman" - I can't believe that that shall sounds crazy for you.
And, Shiri, YES, she IS a woman (I have 10 of them). She's one of the
bodyguards of the royal family.

Oh, I know she's a woman! I was just saying that it is SO obvious that you
don't (IMO) have to say it.

Well anyhow, glad I could be of any use! Seeing I'm a fellow ESLer, I can
often see what you're trying to say, because I used to make the same
translation glitches (like translating proverbs and idioms literally). Now
that I live in the US I have no choice but to learn English well. :-)

-Shiri

(1) This is my favorite! What's a yeoman? It's a yeoman! (like, duh :)