 Castle / 4027
4026  |  4028
Subject:
possible translations (was "Re: New pictures of my Black Falcons")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:51:20 GMT

In lugnet.castle, René Hoffmeister writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Can you put up a sentence or two in english about them?
I'm curious... :-)
In lugnet.castle, Chris Maddison writes:
Aye, an english description would be nice.

I've tried to let translate the names of the figs
by babelfish.altavista.
But the translator makes very crazy words,
or do you know the name "Carriercarriers carrier" ? ;-)
It's very difficult for me to translate some special names.
But maybe are the following description satisfactory:

1st pic: a Longswordman,

"...a swordsman..."

a  Hellebardier

"...a halberdier..." [?]
("halberd" being the English name for the large pole-axe)

and an Axe Oscillator

"...an axeman..."
(Please forgive me,
but I had to chuckle when I read "oscillator".
I have an oscillating fan atop my desk at work.)

2nd pic: a free Bowman and a riding Bowman

"...an archer and a mounted archer..."

By "free", perhaps you meant a "yeoman"
(as in "a yeoman archer")?

3rd pic: a bridge builder

"...an engineer..."

and a Battleknight

"...an armored knight..."

4th pic: the Yellow Prince

As opposed to "the Black Prince" (Prince Edward,
IIRC my lessons in English history) ?...  ;-)

and a Guard Horsewoman

"...a female knight..."
or, "...a female cavalier..."

5th pic: a Protection Wizard,

"...an abjurationer..."/"...an abjurationist..."
(if you don't mind treading on the toes
of a certain RPG-producing company ;-)

a Battle Magician,

"Battle-mage" sounds just fine to me.
(Of course, you could always use the term "sorceror"
if you don't mind the evil connotations...)

and a Implorer

"...a Conjurer..."

6th pic: The six keepers of the elements:
Keeper of the Water (blue),
Keeper of the Fire (red),
Keeper of the Earth (green),
Keeper of the Life (yellow),
Keeper of the Death (black)
and Keeper of the Air (white)

errr....

For the four traditional elements,
Air, Earth, Fire, and Water,
you could call them "elementalists"
(as in "a fire elementalist", etc.).

Alternately,
I like to use "pyromancer" for a fire-mage,
and I've heard others use "hydromancer"
(for the water-mage),
and "aeromancer" (for the air-mage).
I can't think of an alternative for the earth-mage,
except maybe "druid", but that usually applies
much more for a nature-priest/mage than an earth-mage.

As far as the other two,
I'd use "necromancer" for the death-mage,
and "healer"/"healing adept"/"healing priest"
for the "life"-mage.

Please do not LOL if there are some crazy words in it,
it would be very nice if somebody could tell me the right words
so I can put an english description to the pictures.

Regards, René
www.1000steine.de

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Thanks,