 Castle / 4063
Re: Thank you for translation! (Re: New pictures of my Black Falcons)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:20:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, René Hoffmeister writes:
<snip>
"Yeoman Archer" - If "yeoman" means to be not dependent on strict rules.

Well, that's not what my dictionary says... Yeoman:
"An attendant, a servant, or a lesser official in a royal or noble household.
A yeoman of the guard. (1)
A petty officer performing chiefly clerical duties in the U.S. Navy.
An assistant or other subordinate, as of a sheriff.
A diligent, dependable worker.
A farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of
small freeholding farmers in England."

Perhaps "Freeman" or "Mercenary" (if he hires himself out to fight for others)
would be better?

"Battlerider / Battle Horseman" - He's not only a knight. He belongs to a
company of Heavy Cavallary. But maybe you called them "Cavaliers"

Cavaliers would be a good description, yes. I don't think there's a phrase in
English like "horseman"... but that's the problem with translations. Ugh!

From www.dictionary.com:

1.  A gallant or chivalrous man, especially one serving as escort to a woman of
high social position; a gentleman.
2.  A mounted soldier; a knight.
3.Cavalier. A supporter of Charles I of England in his struggles against
Parliament. Also called Royalist.

I wouldn't use "cavalier", as it is definitely *not* the first definition (most
common).  I'd use "Cavalryman" (actually, "Horseman" would work, too.  I'm
sure I've seen it used before), since he is a part of a Heavy Cavalry unit.
www.dictionary.com definition of "cavalry":

1.A highly mobile army unit using vehicular transport, such as light armor and
helicopters.
2.Troops trained to fight on horseback.

Both refer, IMO, to what René seems to be getting at.

Jeff