 Castle / 17832
Re: The Classic Castle City Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:00:03 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson wrote:
   In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

I am proud to announce the official release of the Classic Castle City Standard developed at Brickfest 2003.

Just a quick response. I’ve been catching some rather interesting headlines in .castle lately that I just haven’t had time to read through lately.

A few things I am thinking:

1. Lenny, the website is smooth, easy to read, and really gets the point across in very little time. Nice job!

2. This is a great idea overall. I really like how with the few pictures on the site I can already envision what a larger walled town would look like, with smaller buildings crammed in together. A really ambitious idea would be to look forward to a town with inner and outer walls, a growing medieval metropolis that has an old centre surrounded by a bustling merchant neighborhood, and then maybe even some buildings overflowing to beyond the walls -unprotected homes that only the rabble can afford.

3. This could sway me to build more in Castle again. I do have a number of green plates that I don’t need whilst building Moonbases and Spaceships. But lordy! if you all keep coming up with such good ideas, I’m gonna need to rent a large Ryder truck for BF ‘05.... :)

Hey!!! What about BF ‘04??

4. On the point that the coordinator of a display would have to ensure that enough wall sections are being brought to surround the town, I disagree. Instead, why not simply have a a couple of ruin or construction end-caps handy (serving a similar purpose to endcaps in the Moonbase)? This way, if the wall doesn’t come around and meet itself, a reasonable explanation would be apparent in the display.

I guess that would be up to the coordinator to come up with. A neat little addition that we’ll have to discuss. A real nice definition of why would be a recent attack on the castle itself, and there are not enough resources for the wall to be fixed at the moment.

   5. Can a wall builder incorporate wall junctions? For example, what if I wanted to build a “T” section of wall that offered three connection points to other walls? (This would serve my previous idea of inner and outer walls.) (Anyone ever play the game Rampart?)

Again, that is up to the coordinator. If there is to be outer and inner curtain walls, then I don’t think T’s should be a problem. Another interesting aspect to ask about!! Good thinking Hendo!!!

Ben