 CAD / 11116
Re: Automated minifig walking animation include file for Povray (Was: 8002 destroyer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:06:29 GMT

Hi Tore,

I gave your program a spin. I'd say we are not that far away in conceptual
terms.

"My aim is to let the program I'm currently working on take on the grunt work."

Is pretty much what I'm thinking. And the whole "march.exe" idea is right on
target too. By "automatic", I don't necessarily mean "hard-wired". I mean
"library-based", in the same sense as Ldraw. A user can either build the model
(a relatively "easy" task) and/or make the parts (much harder -in this case, the
animation presets files; in Ldraw's case the parts that make the library); but
not necessarily both.

Couple of comments:

- L3P can take the main file and use the "clock" from povray to batch-process
the files (I know it's not ideal for your system, but at least you can create
loops to check how it looks). And LPUB might make it even simpler to do. When
Kevin was writing the early versions of the program, I remember discussing
briefly with him its animation possibilities, which he seemed aware of and very
open to. But the main objective for the program is to create instruction steps,
so that is where he's put most of the effort into. (Thanks again, Kevin)

- All this talk (and coding) has left me with quite a few ideas and a lot of
prototype material lying around. I'm definitely adding a large Lego CGI section
to my site. I've got several things ready to go, but I'd rather give them a
decent home before I introduce them in society.

In any event, let's all the animators keep pushing now there's momentum
building!

PS: Can you please write a minifig tutorial for your program? Pretty please?