 CAD / 11107
Re: Automated minifig walking animation include file for Povray (Was: 8002 destroyer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:52:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Miguel Agullo wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Stefan van Zwam wrote:

While this certainly has its possibilities, I'm not overly excited yet. An
animation is a film, and "picking between several pre-defined choices" would
pretty much take all life out of it. It's great for "mechanical" animations
like Steve has been showing us, but when it comes to telling an extra story
this may get too limited.

Stefan.

You make a good point.

[still] ...

Someone might find some use for
<http://technicpuppy.miguelagullo.net/povray/mwalk/mwindex.html this include
file> that I just wiped up (link goes to instructions and download page);
even if it only enables us to put together simple walking animations (with
customizable gaits) [using any minifig we can create with ldraw].

<<http://technicpuppy.miguelagullo.net/povray/mwalk/skeleton_2.gif>>

PS: I am not a programmer - please be kind ;-)

I am a really impressed. But I'm still not convinced that we can make a really
flexible system for animating our LDraw based models using POV's built-in
animation support. The clock statement is causing me problems. A frame_index
variable would have been much more useful to my way of thinking.

The alternative is to produce one dat (or ldr) per frame, create a batch file
that converts them to POV-files with L3P and probably some postprocessing will
be necessary before renering them all in POV-Ray.

Here's a link to my first draft of an LDraw animation system based on on LDraw
model per frame: http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/lda2001/lda2001.htm
Please see my first tutorial on how to make a very simple animation using
LDA2001:
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/lda2001/tutor.htm

My question is still: is it possible to get even as far as my draft using POV's
clock statement in one single POV file, or is multiple LDraw files a better way?

/Tore