 CAD / 11086
11085  |  11087
Subject:
A Really Flexible LDraw/POV Animation System? (Was: 8002 destroyer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:56:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Krass wrote:
Great stuff! Are you using the

<http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/simpov/ Sim-POV mechanics
simulation system>

integrated in

<http://megapov.inetart.net Megapov>?

Thanks for the compliment.

I am just using the clock in povray.

Calculating the movements for each part.

It is one ldraw file.

I wish there was an easier way.

Steve

I started out on my LDA, but then came Lani and LD4D and I thought they were
going to make all kinds of animation easier. I was disappointed with LDA; it
never became as modular as my vision was as the beginning of the project so I
haven't touched that project for a very long time.

I still can't try LD4D because it keeps crashing my most unstable system. And I
can't upgrade the system before I know that my bank's secure transaction system
will work...

My vision of modularity is that I want to define a minifig attributes concerning
colors, patterned torso part number etc and save these definitions in a separate
file. Then, in another file, I wish to define a Walking pattern. Then, I wish to
be able to call the minifig attributes and appply the walking function (or
method?) in an as simple as possible way.
Like mfTore05.StandardWalk or StandardWalk(mfTore05, <optional parameters like
,velocity, StepLenght, maxLegAngle or so>); Syntax could be inspired by POV/C or
Basic or LDraw, I don't have any favourite syntax...

The system must be so flexible that most of us could create a Run pattern, or
March, or...

Also, it must not be limited to minifigs only (just because I most often have
minifigs as example) You should be able to define a four-wheeled vehicle, the
positions of the wheels, the radii of the wheels (as a group or individully -
could be a tractor!) and make a funtion that calculates the rotation of the
wheels.

One more thing: The minifig (for example) must be able to lose his hat. A
minifig on a bike is a child object to the car, and the car is a child object to
the World, or Scene. When the minifig leaves the car, it changes parent object
from car to world. It's coordinates myst be recalculated to the new parent
object. There must be a function that takes care of that.

Is all this possible in POV or LD4D, or should I restart the LDA project once
again from scratch? Or is there any way to cooperate in a joint project?

/Tore
(hungry for animation again...)