 CAD / 11120
Re: Automated minifig walking animation include file for Povray (Was: 8002 destroyer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:57:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Miguel Agullo wrote:
Hi Tore,

I gave your program a spin. I'd say we are not that far away in conceptual
terms.

"My aim is to let the program I'm currently working on take on the grunt work."

Is pretty much what I'm thinking. And the whole "march.exe" idea is right on
target too. By "automatic", I don't necessarily mean "hard-wired". I mean
"library-based", in the same sense as Ldraw. A user can either build the model
(a relatively "easy" task) and/or make the parts (much harder -in this case, the
animation presets files; in Ldraw's case the parts that make the library); but
not necessarily both.

I think I have the same idea as you have. The function (method?)
"<Minifig01>.MFWalk = 40" is unfortunately hard-coded inside the exe file. I
don't want it that way. I want it to be an external, easy-to-make module from a
library, and the next step is to figure out that modular system.

Couple of comments:

- L3P can take the main file and use the "clock" from povray to batch-process
the files (I know it's not ideal for your system, but at least you can create
loops to check how it looks).

I didn't know that. How does L3P use POV's "clock"? This is really interesting!
If from STEP - [CLEAR] meta-statements, all that remains is some way to tell L3P
to change camera position, angle and look-at point from the LDraw dat code!!!

And LPUB might make it even simpler to do.
When Kevin was writing the early versions of the program, I remember discussing
briefly with him its animation possibilities, which he seemed aware of and very
open to. But the main objective for the program is to create instruction steps,
so that is where he's put most of the effort into. (Thanks again, Kevin)

Sorry, I have never been very interested in publishing instructions, so I've
never given LPub a try.