 Announcements / 3838

Subject:
LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:29:55 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

This release is complete re-issue of the official library, up to and including
the last (2005-01) parts update, with the primary purpose of aligning the
library with the Contributor Agreement. This clarifies the redistribution status
of the part files within the library, and standardises the file headers.

To this end, a total of 90 files have been excluded from the re-distributable
library because we have been unable to contact the original author or persuade
them to affirm the Contributor Agreement. The current community of LDraw part
authors is working to re-create those parts so that they can be added to the
re-distributable library in a subsequent parts update.

In addition to separating the parts that are not re-distributable, We have taken
the opportunity to separate two additional classes of part files and make their
installation optional in a new Windows installation package.

- Alias parts : generic colour versions of parts that are physically identical
to parts in the core parts library, but have a different part number, either
because of production differences between opaque and transparent parts or due to
evolution of the part numbering scheme.

- Physical colour parts : hard-coded colour versions of parts or composite
parts.

No new parts are included in this update, but its release does now make it
possible to restart the more regular publication of additions to the library.
Minor changes have been made to part descriptions as part of the header
standardisation.

You can download the update for Windows systems by going to
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates> or the LDraw.org download page at
<http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-1.html>. Work is continuing
to make this update available for Mac and Linux users.

Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Administrator)

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

This release is complete re-issue of the official library, up to and including
the last (2005-01) parts update,
Great news, and eagerly awaited for many moons.  Thanks and congratulations to
all of the contributors.

Dave!

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.
http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates

A big Thank You to the whole team! Now we can start waiting eagerly for the
next Ldraw Parts Update again.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.
http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates

A big Thank You to the whole team! Now we can start waiting eagerly for the
next Ldraw Parts Update again.

OH, please do not wait. Please go to the PT and review and review and review!

Now that the way is clearly structured we need all reviewers and authors back on
the PT.

cu
mikeheide

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
OH, please do not wait. Please go to the PT and review and review and review!

Now that the way is clearly structured we need all reviewers and authors back on
the PT.

I chime in with Mikeheide: please come in and author and review!!! Sometimes we
feel a bit lonely ;o)

Philo

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

This release is complete re-issue of the official library, up to and including
the last (2005-01) parts update, with the primary purpose of aligning the
library with the Contributor Agreement. This clarifies the redistribution status
of the part files within the library, and standardises the file headers.

Congratulations on getting this out, and thank you very much for all the hard
work you and the other admins put into this.  It's very much appreciated.

In addition to separating the parts that are not re-distributable, We have taken
the opportunity to separate two additional classes of part files and make their
installation optional in a new Windows installation package.

- Alias parts : generic colour versions of parts that are physically identical
to parts in the core parts library, but have a different part number, either
because of production differences between opaque and transparent parts or due to
evolution of the part numbering scheme.

- Physical colour parts : hard-coded colour versions of parts or composite
parts.

While I understand the reasoning behind this, I personally would recommend
removing these choices.  They make it so that anyone who chooses not to install
the alias or physical color parts will be unable to load files created by others
that use those parts.  It seems to me that that will just lead to user
confusion.

You can download the update for Windows systems by going to
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates> or the LDraw.org download page at
<http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-1.html>. Work is continuing
to make this update available for Mac and Linux users.

Once you have a zip available (assuming that's your plan), don't forget to
update http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreleases.cgi.  Also, don't include the
Windows Installer version in that list, since although the list does include EXE
files, they're all self-extracting ARJ files, and the Windows installer
obviously isn't a self-extracting ARJ, which is the only supported data type
other than ZIP in that list.

Once again, thanks for all your hard work.  Also, please don't interpret the
above paragraph as impatience on my part.  I just want to make sure it doesn't
get forgotten about.

--Travis

[...]

Great News these days!
Many thanks to Chris in special because the main work remains to him.

Just one thing should be mentioned more clearly. There are only a very few parts
that needs rewriting. The others are on the PT. The current list of parts that
still need a rewrite can be found at http://www.ldraw.org/Article468.html.

cu
mikeheide

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

Very cool!  Even watching from the outside, I know this has to have been a long
hard process, so I thank everyone involved with this release!

Jeff

[...]

A hearty congratulations and thank you for all this hard work.

This is a significant achievement!

Kevin

Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available