Re: Internationalization of the part library?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:40:23 GMT

Willy Tschager wrote:

could you please work out a standard for the
internationalization of the part names.

I don't think it is really the task of the LSC to define a
standard for internationalization (i18n) of part names, but
here is a sketch of how I believe it should be handled:

+ The names found in LDraw files (parts and models) are
   considered to be in the "POSIX" locale.

+ LDraw.org publishes a ".pot" file (translation template)
   containing the names of all the parts files available
   from LDraw.org (both official and unofficial).

+ Translators can submit translations (as ".po" files) back
   to LDraw.org for distribution to users and developers.

+ Developers of applications using the LDraw.org parts
   library are encouraged to use the translations of the
   parts names available from LDraw.org to make the parts
   names available to the users in their preferred
   languages.

Putting the translations in the parts files would mean that
the parts library would have to be updated, every time
somebody added a translation of the name of a part to one
more language.

Using the (GNU) Gettext approach of keeping translations in
separate files is in my opinion preferable.

Jacob
--
»But you have to be a bit wary of a ship that collects
snowflakes.«                                  -- Diziet Sma

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Willy Tschager wrote:

could you please work out a standard for the
internationalization of the part names.

I don't think it is really the task of the LSC to define a
standard for internationalization (i18n) of part names

I feel it falls more to the LSC than any other group currently in existence.
Although, the SteerCo could appoint a new i18n group...

here is a sketch of how I believe it should be handled:

+ The names found in LDraw files (parts and models) are
   considered to be in the "POSIX" locale.

+ LDraw.org publishes a ".pot" file (translation template)
   containing the names of all the parts files available
   from LDraw.org (both official and unofficial).

+ Translators can submit translations (as ".po" files) back
   to LDraw.org for distribution to users and developers.

+ Developers of applications using the LDraw.org parts
   library are encouraged to use the translations of the
   parts names available from LDraw.org to make the parts
   names available to the users in their preferred
   languages.

I am picking my way through
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext.html
Is there another source of a good summary?

From what I've read, this approach doesn't quite fit our needs, but would be
useable.  That is, we've got a good key (the part number) to use as a basis for
looking up translations, but gettext uses the original part title.

Putting the translations in the parts files would mean that
the parts library would have to be updated, every time
somebody added a translation of the name of a part to one
more language.

Nod, true.

Using the (GNU) Gettext approach of keeping translations in
separate files is in my opinion preferable.

I agree.

Steve

Willy Tschager wrote:

could you please work out a standard for the
internationalization of the part names.

I don't think it is really the task of the LSC to define a
standard for internationalization (i18n) of part names

I feel it falls more to the LSC than any other group currently in existence.
Although, the SteerCo could appoint a new i18n group...

Personally I think this is well within the pervue of the LSC.  I see no need for
another organization.

Kevin

Willy Tschager wrote:

could you please work out a standard for the
internationalization of the part names.

I don't think it is really the task of the LSC to define a
standard for internationalization (i18n) of part names

I feel it falls more to the LSC than any other group currently in existence.
Although, the SteerCo could appoint a new i18n group...

Personally I think this is well within the pervue of the LSC.  I see no need for
another organization.

Personally, I agree. That said, if the LSC decided that internationalization is
not a goal then some consideration of how to proceed would be needed, but I
would tend to want to follow their recommendation, it's their charter to own
decisions like this about standards directions. If the LSC decided i18n was
good, but that they did NOT want to tackle this and wanted to see another
committee formed, I guess I'd want to understand why, but would support that
decision as well, once I understood it.

Willy Tschager wrote:

could you please work out a standard for the
internationalization of the part names.

I feel it falls more to the LSC than any other group
currently in existence. Although, the SteerCo could
appoint a new i18n group...

Personally I think this is well within the pervue of the
LSC.  I see no need for another organization.

Personally, I agree.

It seems like there is general agreement that it would be a
good idea, if the LSC creates a standard for i18n in LDraw
parts names, so I will post a proposal to the LSC ASAP.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Noir comme le diable
Chaud comme l'enfer

Re: Internationalization of the part library?