Re: Internationalization of the part library?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:49:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, William Howard wrote:
Rock pieces (BURPs, LURPs, et al) recently became panels ...
Castle walls also are in the process of becomming panels ...
I no longer know where Boat Stud is as it moves so often ...

And that's just the first three off the top of my head.

Devil's advocate for a sec, were those NAME changes or CATEGORY changes?

Both.  The default for CATEGORY is the first word from the part title.  Most
parts have no explicit CATEGORY.  I believe in all the examples given by
William, the default CATEGORY is in effect.

To Jacob's point about keeping changes in sync, which I agree is a valid concern
and would need to be addressed: If the translation file ships as part of a part
update, then I would think that any time a part number changes, so does the
translation file, which means that when you install an update you are in sync
(that may not be true if you live on the bleeding edge with unreleased parts and
etc, but if you only update when stuff is officially released wouldn't you be
OK?).

I expect we'd work on updating translations in parallel with part development.
Otherwise, we'd be adding a big 'translation step' to every parts update, which
would only slow things down even more than they already are.

More specifically, I expect that updates to any one translation (ie, one
language) would come in batches, because translators would probably rather
handle them that way, rather than translating each individual part as it comes
by.

Steve