Re: Internationalization of the part library?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:43:16 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I sort of don't follow the subtlety of the issue with lookup (GNU
gettext?), but it seems to me from the outside that the part number
ought to be the lookup key rather than one version of the part name.

But the existing part names are the unique identifier *we* have control
over. Lego may well start calling a 'Brick 2x2' 'OleKirk347' in the next
version of the moulds, but it's still a 'Brick 2x2', right?

There's also the value of at least a default text when the translation file
is older than the part library.

do names change as often as part numbers do?

No idea.

are they the right key from a theoretical standpoint?

Too theoretical.

part numbers are designed to be unambiguous,

As unambigous as set numbers? Why do you trust Lego not to reuse the number
of an old part that they will *never* produce again?

names are not necessarily so, although usually are

The names are ours. We can make the totally unambigous if we need to.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm