 Announcements / 3838
3837  |  3839
Subject:
LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:29:55 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

This release is complete re-issue of the official library, up to and including
the last (2005-01) parts update, with the primary purpose of aligning the
library with the Contributor Agreement. This clarifies the redistribution status
of the part files within the library, and standardises the file headers.

To this end, a total of 90 files have been excluded from the re-distributable
library because we have been unable to contact the original author or persuade
them to affirm the Contributor Agreement. The current community of LDraw part
authors is working to re-create those parts so that they can be added to the
re-distributable library in a subsequent parts update.

In addition to separating the parts that are not re-distributable, We have taken
the opportunity to separate two additional classes of part files and make their
installation optional in a new Windows installation package.

- Alias parts : generic colour versions of parts that are physically identical
to parts in the core parts library, but have a different part number, either
because of production differences between opaque and transparent parts or due to
evolution of the part numbering scheme.

- Physical colour parts : hard-coded colour versions of parts or composite
parts.

No new parts are included in this update, but its release does now make it
possible to restart the more regular publication of additions to the library.
Minor changes have been made to part descriptions as part of the header
standardisation.

You can download the update for Windows systems by going to
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates> or the LDraw.org download page at
<http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-1.html>. Work is continuing
to make this update available for Mac and Linux users.

Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Administrator)