 CAD / 15545
Re: LDraw.org 2008-01 Parts Library Update now available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:03:19 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Chris Dee wrote:
The 2008-01 LDraw parts library update has been now been released.

This release is complete re-issue of the official library, up to and including
the last (2005-01) parts update, with the primary purpose of aligning the
library with the Contributor Agreement. This clarifies the redistribution status
of the part files within the library, and standardises the file headers.

Congratulations on getting this out, and thank you very much for all the hard
work you and the other admins put into this.  It's very much appreciated.

In addition to separating the parts that are not re-distributable, We have taken
the opportunity to separate two additional classes of part files and make their
installation optional in a new Windows installation package.

- Alias parts : generic colour versions of parts that are physically identical
to parts in the core parts library, but have a different part number, either
because of production differences between opaque and transparent parts or due to
evolution of the part numbering scheme.

- Physical colour parts : hard-coded colour versions of parts or composite
parts.

While I understand the reasoning behind this, I personally would recommend
removing these choices.  They make it so that anyone who chooses not to install
the alias or physical color parts will be unable to load files created by others
that use those parts.  It seems to me that that will just lead to user
confusion.

You can download the update for Windows systems by going to
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/updates> or the LDraw.org download page at
<http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-1.html>. Work is continuing
to make this update available for Mac and Linux users.

Once you have a zip available (assuming that's your plan), don't forget to
update http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreleases.cgi.  Also, don't include the
Windows Installer version in that list, since although the list does include EXE
files, they're all self-extracting ARJ files, and the Windows installer
obviously isn't a self-extracting ARJ, which is the only supported data type
other than ZIP in that list.

Once again, thanks for all your hard work.  Also, please don't interpret the
above paragraph as impatience on my part.  I just want to make sure it doesn't
get forgotten about.

--Travis