 Trains / 7963
Re: High Speed Trains-Photogallery Link-LEGO Acela v.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:53:46 GMT

Hi James,

(This is an aspect of building with LEGO that I truly love: so many ways to
build something and the ease of which one can disassemble and put pieces back
together.)

THAT is the point. There is no right or single solution, the possibilities are
enormous, depends on which aspect in designing the model you as builder put the
most affords in!

I think a more "pointy" nose would look good for an ICE3.  Maybe for your
attempt?

Yes, you are right. When I got some time at work I will send you some ICE3
picture which I found somewhere in the net. One does show the nose very
exactly!

These are just some ideas... I thought about modelling the nose of a german
ICE 3. That's a big challenge. But I will try...

I would like to build an ICE 3, as well.  But, I want to use large quantities
of pieces and costly to get pieces that I don't have, nor can readily get:
1. white and gray 1/4 curve-top bricks (like on the nose of my Acela)
   - the white ones used on the roof of the cars
   - the gray ones on the underside?  or maybe white on the bottom, too?

That is my "piece of the decade"!!! After restarting the LEGO hobby I
discovered just months ago that they producced such a piece. I just can't get
enough!! The SW imperial shuttle will have 8 white 4-long pieces!! So, lets get
20 shuttles ;-))

2. 1x2x3 trans light blue thin wall windows (from 4561 trainset)
   -turn them sideways for low aspect ratio windows for passenger cars

In fact the ICE3 has sunglasses as windows! So why shouldn't we use black
pieces?

3. Two Millenium Falcon cockpit canopies for the ICE 3 observation
car/restaurant car

I even haven't got ONE falcon ;-(( But that piece comes out in other 2001 sets
as well.

4. Maybe two Ultimate Collector's X-Wing cockpit canopies for use as the ICE 3
locomotive front window?

Defenetly no! It's too long and wide!

That complex curve window on the ICE 3 is quite a
challenge!  I've thought of trying a B-Wing cockpit window, but haven't tried
to figure out how to slope it right and get a good interface with the rest of
the nose of the locomotive.

I thought of 1x3 roofs (1-wide). Building a 7-wide train with a centered lane
of that roof piece. The next one could be 1/2 stud back, and so on...

The grey-blue-grey roof-line is very nice worked out!!

Thanks, but I would like to have the slopes reversed!  I wish I had colors • blue
and black in the shape of the color gray that I do have.
See pictures:
and
Now, reverse the slope of the black and gray; also reverse the slope of the
blue and gray.

Anyone know if these color variations exist?  How to get them?

Did I get it right? The gray pieces should be blue and the blue ones gray? I am
not sure, but I think roof pieces in all shapes were produced in blue too! But
that might be long ago. I will check all my roofs when I got them (just some
more days - it's like X-Mas)

Your other posting: gray nose piece? I have no idea, my knowledge on newer
pieces is very limited. Is this the one used in the SW green Flashspeeder??

I won't be online for the next 24 hours and just a bit over the weekend... But
we should keep going with that really interesting trans-atlantic exchange of
ideas!! That's the next best thing which comes with LEGO!! Talking to other
freaks having the same idea but living at the other end ot the world (Ok the US
is not the other end, but quite far away!!)

Keep on bricking,

Yours,
Holger (HoMa)