 Trains / 7934
Re: High Speed Trains-Photogallery Link-LEGO Acela v.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 02:39:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
Upon seeing the S@H gray train windows and doors sets, I immediately began
thinking "Amtrak Acela".

While searching for photos of Amtrak's Acela train set, I came across this link
to "high speed rail around the world":
http://lautenberg.senate.gov/highspeed/world/world.html

The Acela in particular:
http://lautenberg.senate.gov/highspeed/photo.html
and
http://trainweb.com/railpix/ampx11.html
http://trainweb.com/railpix/ampx12.html

I'm not completely convinced that these "regular" train windows provide the
best window aspect ratio for the Acela passenger cars, but the availability
will make them easily applicable.
I'm looking forward to using the announced (but backordered) gray train windows
and doors in at least my Acela project.

In anticipation of (someday) acquiring gray train windows, I have built a first
version of the Acela HSEL (high speed electric locomotive):
I can already see some areas which I will modify or change color.

Amtrak makes a "dual nose" (sorry if improper name) locomotive for the Acela.
It's nose is slightly more stubby than the HSEL "single nose" unit and has
slightly different color striping. The dual nose unit is called a High
Horsepower locomotive.  Through the above links you can see both locomotives.
One photo in particular places the HSEL and HHP nose-to-nose:
http://trainweb.com/railpix/ampix/acela2003-acela651-nose1-6-23-99.jpg

Well, thanks for reading.
I am wondering if anyone else has thought of, or is working on, modeling the
Acela. ...
later,
James Mathis

James Mathis

Absolutely, now that real train windows and doors are available!  This is
an answer to my post of 1 year ago (Trains / 2365).   I see the
possibilities.  (It doesn't look like 4561 would be very helpful for an
Acela project, however.  I still haven't bought the thing.) .  Version #1
looks great.

Jim

-------