 Trains / 7958
Re: High Speed Trains-Photogallery Link-LEGO Acela v.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:55:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Well, it isn't version II.  More of an incomplete color study.
I'm not sure what color badging I like the best...or more (hopefully) matches
the real-life Acela HSEL locomotive.
Here's the work in progress:

I just looked at the original picture again. The beginning of the roof just
over the front window seems to by black. So your Version1a is closer at that
part of the model.

That was a pretty easy change.  I think the dual-nose High Horsepower
locomotive may have a blue roof above the cab windscreen.  Maybe that's what
stuck in my mind for the color of version 1.

Any comments or suggestions on how to best approximate the nose and other
contours in shape and color to the real-life Acela will be very welcome.
Thanks.

What about building a more tapered (hope that word is the right one..) nose in
plain white. Use just a 1x2 tile to fix the left and right arched-piece
together? Or that one with one centered stud, putting a 1x1 tile on top?? That
will mean also to make the bent-parts a bit longer? [Oh, it's hard to explain
in English and having no pictures... Hope you get it right?]

I think I understand your description.  Making the bent-parts a bit longer may
change the top surface slope of the nose- more shallow than the window section
slope as defined by 1x3 slopes.
Also, I'm not sure I want to make the nose arched-piece connected witha a 1x2
tile.  I think this might look too much "pointy" compared to the real Acela
HSEL.??  I should try it, maybe it will look better.
(This is an aspect of building with LEGO that I truly love: so many ways to
build something and the ease of which one can disassemble and put pieces back
together.)

I think a more "pointy" nose would look good for an ICE3.  Maybe for your
attempt?

These are just some ideas... I thought about modelling the nose of a german
ICE 3. That's a big challenge. But I will try...

I would like to build an ICE 3, as well.  But, I want to use large quantities
of pieces and costly to get pieces that I don't have, nor can readily get:
1. white and gray 1/4 curve-top bricks (like on the nose of my Acela)
    - the white ones used on the roof of the cars
    - the gray ones on the underside?  or maybe white on the bottom, too?
2. 1x2x3 trans light blue thin wall windows (from 4561 trainset)
    -turn them sideways for low aspect ratio windows for passenger cars
3. Two Millenium Falcon cockpit canopies for the ICE 3 observation
car/restaurant car
4. Maybe two Ultimate Collector's X-Wing cockpit canopies for use as the ICE 3
locomotive front window?  That complex curve window on the ICE 3 is quite a
challenge!  I've thought of trying a B-Wing cockpit window, but haven't tried
to figure out how to slope it right and get a good interface with the rest of
the nose of the locomotive.

The grey-blue-grey roof-line is very nice worked out!!

Thanks, but I would like to have the slopes reversed!  I wish I had colors blue
and black in the shape of the color gray that I do have.
See pictures:
and
Now, reverse the slope of the black and gray; also reverse the slope of the
blue and gray.

Anyone know if these color variations exist?  How to get them?

Thanks!
later,
James Mathis