 Trains / 4788
Re: Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:05:12 GMT

Karim wrote in message ...
In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Karim wrote:

Wrong! :) :)

Well there's nothing like saying "can't be done" to shake out the
solution...

Could you generate a JPG or two, or just describe it? (I don't have a
way to look at .DATs at work).

I just emailed you a GIF instructions sheet, but to your mindspring • account...
should I email it to your work account?

Hmm, I just tried to look at all the parts which are used, and I don't
see something to turn the tile on it's side, so I assume I'm missing
something.

Nope :)  It's what I like to call an IES*  There is no actual piece that • holds
the tile at 90 degrees... it's the particular arrangement of the other • pieces
that holds the whole thing together :)

Well, I just (well several hours ago) tried this out. The geometry doesn't
quite work out. To fill in those who haven't seen the picture, the key is
that staggered, opposing thin-walls make a channel for plates to sit in
vertically. Here's a very rough diagram of the thin wall arrangement:

+-+
|     <- 1x2x2 thin wall w/wall on left

+-+
  |   <- 1x2x1 thin wall w/wall on right

+-+
|     <- 1x2x2 thin wall w/wall on left

+-+

The plate arrangement uses two 2x2 corner plates forming a T with the head
on the bottom. The top of two 1x2x2 thin walls holds the tail of the T from
sliding, and the combination of thin walls forms a slot for the ends of the
top (well bottom) bar of the T to rest in.

The geometry problem is that the thickness of the plate including studs is
thicker than the slot between the two walls. I think the problem is that the
stud is slightly taller than 1/2 plate thickness, but the thickness of the
thin walls could also be greater than 1/2 plate thickness (nope that isn't
the problem, just made a slot from two thin walls directly opposing each
other forming a 4 plate thickness slot, 3 plates plus a tile were able to
slide easily even at the bottom or top of the slot clearly indicating that
they are actually slightly less thick than the width of the slot).

Frank