 Trains / 4754
Re: Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:37:50 GMT

I've had the luck of being allowed access to the Local Harbors here thru a few
nice Steveadores (Wish I had their jobs thought. They pay good money.) and
I've learned that Containers come in all shapes and sizes. I have nearly 200+
Reference Photos to help me in building Containers. Aslo, a keen interest in
Railroads have been helpful, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make a
well car.

I'm assuming that the small Containers like those on the 4030 and Launch &
Load Seaport that are 4X8 Stud are the equivelent of 20' Containers. And, the
containers that are in the 4549 Road 'N Rail Hauler (the middle ones) are the
eqivilent of 40' Containers.

Containers come in sizes of 20', 23', 35', 40, 45', 48' and 53'. To simplify
this, here's a relative table I made that helps me in my work:

4X8 Stud = 20' Container

(No conversion for 23')

4X12 Stud = 35' Container

4X16 Stud = 40' Container

4X18 Stud = 45' Container

4X20 Stud = 48' Container

(No conversion for 53')

Course, this is for my relative work, since I am a Model Railroader at heart
sometimes. You can make your own conversions. Now, how to fit those over 4X16
studs onto a trailer bed is abit tricky...one that I haven't solved yet!!

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
I've been on and off thinking about containers (for ships, trucks, and
trains). One of the things I'm wondering is if all the LEGO sets which have
containers use the same dimensions? The other thing I'm wondering is if I
should set my own standards and make them 6 wide. I do plan on making most
of my trucks 6 wide.

Another oddly related question: is there a source of orange 1x2 tiles (other
than 1x2 grille tiles)? I've got an idea for how to fit a tile flush with
the side of a container wall, and was thinking of making some "Sebulba"
containers which would be half orange and half black. Unfortunately, my
scheme works in terms of 2x4 tiled areas, which means I  need to build a 4x4
tiled area with the "Sebulba" 2x2 tile in the center, sort of like:

+---+---+---+---+
|   |   o   |   |
| o +---+---+ o |
|   |       |   |
+---+  o/b  +---+
|   |       |   |
| b +---+---+ b |
|   |   b   |   |
+---+-------+---+

The "o"s are orange tiles
The "b"s are black tiles
The "o/b" is the Sebulba tile

Of course if I do the split vertically, I can just use a Sebulba tile and a
2x2 black tile, so that might be the way to do it, but I think it would look
nicer with the top half orange and the bottom half black.

Note that along the bottom of the tiled area, there needs to be a 1x4 tile,
or a pair of 1x2x1 thin walls, or something else which doesn't have studs.

There may also be other ways to get this arrangement (I'm doing it with a
1x4/1x2 "bumper" bracket) which would allow a smaller tiled area. Of course
if one goes impure, those Tyco plates and tiles could come in real handy
(since they're 1/2 brick height, or 1.5 plate thick). Fortunately both the
1x4/1x2 "bumper" bracket and the 1x1 brick w/recessed side stud ("headlight"
brick) offer a 1/2 plate thickness which is necessary to get the tile flush
with a brick wall in 1 stud thickness (if I go with 6 wide containers, there
will be more options since there are 3 studs to work with on each side
instead of 2).

M-Tron is going to be one of my big shipping companies...

Frank