 Trains / 4755
Re: Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:18:59 GMT

Larry,

  I thought you were a six wide truck guy? I guess I was thinking of someone else.
I have been wondering the same thing; should I make containers 4 wide or six wide.
4 wide means I am ok with the old style containers and I can continue using windows
and shutters for doors. 6 wide means I have enough doors to make 1 container. Four
wide means my trucks are not obsolete. 6 wide makes nice looking trucks but I would
have to convert everything. (Actually, I noticed that one of the Maersk trucks is 5
wide...gotta love breaking that status quo http://nt1.pncl.co.uk/huw/intro.asp
enter set number 1831 in the quick search) My next projects are flatbeds with
tractorless trailers (a.k.a. red wagon plates from 4545) and double stacked flat
beds (a.k.a. black waggon plates from 4561). I guess I need to make up my mind
soon, but I am leaning towards the 4 wide containers. Which means 4 wide trucks.
(Please forgive me 6 wide truck makers.)

  I am intrigued by the 5-wide extended cab of the Maersk truck. It is a very nice
compromise between four wide compatibilility and 6-wide sleeper cabs.

By the way, what do you mean by plug compatible? Is it that the trailers have
technic plates so a technic coupler can hole the trailer to the truck?

Thanks,
Chris

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Oh man, why didn't TLG do all their containers the same as 1651??

The Ccolor Line and Maersk newer promo sets use 4x12 containers. They're
plug compatible, at least sort of.

I use a 2x2 tile every 4 studs so a 4x8 has 2 and a 4x12 has 3. Most of
the containers I build for myself are 4x16.

Carbon 60 wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
I've been on and off thinking about containers (for ships, trucks, and
trains). One of the things I'm wondering is if all the LEGO sets which have
containers use the same dimensions? The other thing I'm wondering is if I
should set my own standards and make them 6 wide. I do plan on making most
of my trucks 6 wide.

There is a standard LEGO Container size which lorries, trucks and the 1991 sea
ports all used - 4x8 in plan.  The Maersk and Color Line trucks have different
size containers.

Set 1651 the old Maersk truck:
http://nt1.pncl.co.uk/huw/view.asp?Set=1651-1
used 6 wide containers I think they look much better on trains since they fill
the whole area like in real life.  I intend to build to this scale.

Carbon 60

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!