 Trains / 4770
Re: Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:43:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But I go 4 wide to be compatible with TLG stuff. Most of their
containers are 4 wide. Would that it were not so. My articulated
doublestack well cars and my spine trailers are designed to take 4 wide
containers that are 16L. I don't have enough parts to make good 6 wide
containers, although it's tempting. Desigining a 6 (or 7) wide
articulated doublestack that could take 6 wide containers would be very
very challenging, and then I could go to 6 wide tractors which would
look better.

I have a feeling I'm going to go with 6 wide. TLC is making more and
more 6 wide trucks (now if only they'd make some truck wheels suited for
double wheel arrangements other than the 2x2 hubs - technic or
standard). I only have a few of those container doors, so I'd be doing
something different for a door in any case, possibly no door at all,
just use some 1x1 bricks with recessed side stud to put a little bit of
detail on the ends or something.

I may also use the 1x3xX doors which are similar to the car doors
(though I don't have many of those).

Of course for 4 wide I do have a bunch of those flip up equipment doors.

When I say plug compatible I am referring to how the containers mate
with each other top to bottom (and mate with the trailers and railcars),
not the hitching mechanism.

However I adopted the 4549/maersk hitching mechanism, which is why my
2150 tractor had to have frame modifications.

Is that 2150 a misteak, or am I missing something?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com