 Trains / 4757
Re: Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:54:49 GMT

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:42:48 GMT, "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Bram Lambrecht writes:
"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:
Unfortunately, my scheme works in terms of 2x4 tiled areas, which
means I  need to build a 4x4 tiled area with the "Sebulba" 2x2 tile
in the center

With some creative engineering, you should probably be able to fit create
just a 2x2 area, but you might have to sacrifice some interior space...

Yea, with a wide enough area, one could use the 2x2/2x2 brackets. It would
need a depth of 4 for each side though (meaning a container at least 8 wide).

There might also be ways to use the 1x1 brick with studs on all 4 sides.

Unfortuantely, to use the 2x2 Selbulba tile, and match up the orange and black
parts with adjacent bricks, it needs to be 1/2 plate above the brick boundary
since the 2 stud width corresponds to a 5 plate height, so each half is 2.5
plates high.

What elements besides a 1x1 brick w/recessed side stud and the 1x4/1x2 bracket
have a half plate dimension?

Frank

Thin walls.  Here's my solution, only problem being it requires a 1x2 orange
thin wall.  I don't think they exist (yet).  I just built this on a 4x4 plate
to try it out, hopefully you can follow along.

On your black 4x4 plate at the center edge, put 2 1x1s w/ single side studs
next to each other.  This is your attachment for the Sebulba tile.  Behind
these two bricks put two 1x2 plates with single stud so that the single studs
are parallel to the bricks. On top of these plates put a 1x2 plate, 1x2 brick,
and 1x4/1x2 bracket, facing the Sebulba tile.  On the 1x4 part attach the
non-existant 1x2 thin wall.  This just reaches over the tile enough to hide
the opening, a 1x4 or larger brick or plate over the top (after building up
the wall) finishes the job.  This only uses 3 studs back so you can still
build to 6-wide, at the expense of blocking the interior.

Rob

-

Rob Farver - mailto:rfarver@rcn.com
             http://www.farver.com/lego/