 Technic / 9214
Re: Props for Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Haye writes:
Yes, I had tried that.  I was unable to prevent all the rotation at the • friction pin,
and even a small amount of movement there caused significant wobble/binding.

Well I did a little test, heres the pics:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1409.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1410.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1411.jpg

Note that the propeller shaft is cylindrical, not "x" axle-shape, so
friction is much greater than standard axle.

It worked reasonably well, even with no lubrication and old batteries. I
reckon with some lube, and maybe even a more powerful motor, it would work
really well.

Oh, and running the axle vertically runs better than horizontally, so even
better for hovercraft 8?)

Perhaps the z24-sandwich can be wrapped with conveyor chain links?

/Tobbe