 Technic / 9172
Re: Props for Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 04:46:59 GMT

You inspired me to tinker a bit, but I am still unsuccessful.  Putting gears
around the
z24 to help stabilize it is problematic because, at standard LEGO distances,
there is
sufficient space between the gears to allow the z24 (and the prop axle) to
wobble.
I thought about coming up with a gear combination that might mesh snugly
enough to
eliminate the wobble, but I'm concerned that such an arrangement would have
as
much friction as I am trying to eliminate.  Also, the amount of structure
that needs to
be added to mount these supporting gears would be precisely where you don't
want
extra structure:  in the airstream.  Apologies for my "negativity," but I
don't consider
this part to be functional; it is merely ornamental.

Mark Haye

"Eric Sophie" <mylegomaster@aol.com> wrote in message
Ho Mark, This presents a significant problem. I always engineer my
gear-trains to include a double "axle grab" on both sides of a gear so the
gears flow smoothly. Without that extra stud worth to help anchor the
Airscrew, yep could be a problem. But not to worry, If you sandwich gears • on
top if the Airscrew's z24 and then drive it with another gear below, it
should stablize it. However, it's just theory and I'd need to experiment
with it myself. Still you make a good point.

http://members.aol.com/mylegomaster/index.htm

In lugnet.technic, Mark Haye writes:
I have this part (from <set:8855>) and I have been unsuccessful in my • attempts
to power it to any significant speed.  The problem is that the prop and • z24 gear
are permanently molded to a 3L axle which goes through a 1x4 Technic • beam.
Having only one bearing point (the 1x4 beam) for the prop axle allows too • much
"wobble."  Trying to drive it at high speed results in LOTS of friction • (in my
experience).  I have not had the heart to cut it apart and modify it to • try to
overcome this problem.

HTH,
Mark Haye