 Technic / 9198
Re: Props for Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 19:16:07 GMT

"Mark Haye" <markhaye@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:HA05tr.EJx@lugnet.com...
You guys are bound and determined to spend my whole weekend tinkering on
this,
aren't you?  ;-)
Offcourse, we dont give up before we have succeeded :)
I'm just been bitten of this LEGO-flying machine virus ....

I reproduced Ross's setup using a gray peg, a black friction peg, and an • old
black friction peg.  I still get what I consider pretty poor performance
(with fresh
batteries).  It seems to me that the lineup just isn't straight enough to
run smoothly.
Maybe my propellor part is a little funky.

I have not tried lubricating, as Stephane suggests.

I tried Kevin's suggestion briefly.  The "legs" of the Technic turntable • hit
the prop
blades, and would have to be removed.  Also, I think the friction of the
turntable
itself would be pretty high.

Whatever speed you got on that propeller, is it not a bit tiny?
Would it push enough air? I dont have that prop so I cant  test for myself.
But of the images I've seen so far it looks like a bit small blades and not
enough angel to give enough push for the heavy LEGO craft.

And I have tried a lot of configuration for a propeller this week and always
goes back to the simple construction with the to Technic Fairing Panel #20
or #21. But I've also testet the smaller ones #22 and #23 (dont have the
part number for any of them). The propeller does get more rpm with the
smaller ones but do not push that much air it seems.
Anyway I have the trouble of getting a strong enogh motor for this
configuration so I will continue to search for a propeller built of LEGO
that can be good enough with the 9V motor supplyed with a traditional 9v
batterybox.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix